Thirty | E S C A P E

My breath hitched when I heard a knock on the door. The maid walked in and placed her hands in front of her. "He's ready." She told me. I followed her down the steps and back into the common area full of artifacts.

She pointed me into a room and I hesitantly walked in. Inside was a man in a suit, fixing himself a drink. "Uh, hello?" I said.

The buzzed man turned around, and staring back at me was Rafe. "Rafe!" I run up to him, and jump in his arms. "I knew you'd come and find me." I look at him, taking him in, "Your hair, you cut it off?"

He set me down and took me in, "Wait. What- what are you doing here?"

"What do you mean? Didn't you set this up to save me?" I furrow my brows.

"I came here to sell the cross to do that." He explained.

A man suddenly came in laughing to himself in another part of the room. "I wondered if your little reunion would come with sparks, you know."

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Me? My name is Carlos Singh. It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Cameron and Ms. Limbrey. I do apologize for the rough tactics in bringing you here. But please, come."

He motions for us to take a seat. "Sit down. Come now, I don't bite."

I hesitantly took a seat.

Rafe stood his guard. "Rough tactics, what about me?" He scratched the back of his neck.

"Yes Mr. Cameron, false pretenses. But the ends justify the means, i'm afraid. Sit down. We have a lot to talk about." He said. Rafe huffed and took a seat next to me.

"Why are we here." I asked.

"Well, Mrs. Limbrey-" He paused as he sees a ring on my finger. "Sorry, Ms. Cameron We share a sort of interest, you know. Objectives."

"It's Ms. Limbrey." I corrected. "I'm not legally married." Rafe squinted his eyes at me. Then with less patience he turned back to Singh. "It's not about the cross?" He asked.

"It is." Carlos pointed at him. "Tangentially, it is about the cross. but it's also about something much, much bigger than the cross. By orders of magnitude... the completion of a grand quest."

I grew a confused look on my face.

He then began rambling about the cross. Carlos picked up a pocket knife laying on a stand. "It falls to me to complete the task of this quest. To bring full circle a quest that has gone on for almost 500 years. Perhaps... the greatest quest in the history of the western hemisphere. And you two... are going to play a part in that."

Rafe frowned his lips and nodded to himself. I could tell that he was not going to let that happen.

"What about you, Ms. Limbrey? Are you interested in history?" Carlos looked to me.

"History... no. Present... yes and honestly i'm just wondering when we're gonna leave."

Rafe huffed. "I didn't listen to a word you just said, Okay? How much you gonna keep philosophizing?" He asked Singh.

"You are direct aren't you, Mr. Cameron."

"Well my fiancé-" He made it a point to look at me. "-Is very impatient."

"What do you need from me?" I asked.

"I've come to believe that you and your friends are in possession of something that can help me get what I want."

"Which is?"

"An old manuscript. A diary, actually." He explained.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you?" Rafe said looking at me. I shook my head no.