my sister, the hero to be

Thirty-year-old Izuku Midoriya stood at the gates of Aldera Junior High, waiting.

Kids of all ages ran past him, some of them showing off their amazing quirks. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't a little jealous. Just a little. A kid with wings flew past him, a few inches off the ground. He was flying. Another had incredibly fascinating hair, hair that moved like it was alive. And in contrast, Izuku was one of the rare few born quirkless.

"Nii-chan!"

The familiar voice pulled him out of his daydreams. His little sister, fifteen-year-old Izumi Midoriya. In a twist of fate that probably would've been hilarious if it wasn't tragic, she was born quirkless as well.

Usually, she'd run up to him, and give him a hug, but for some reason, she didn't seem like her typical energetic self today. She gave him a small smile and took his hand, giving it a squeeze.

"Tough day?" he asked, as they started on the walk home.

"Not really. Applied for U.A. today, actually!" she said, brightening a little.

"Nice," Izuku nodded. "But why the sour mood?"

Izumi frowned a little, visibly considering whether to tell him or not.

"Kaachan-" she started.

"That kid..." Izuku grumbled, his mood taking a turn as well. "You're sure you want to be friends with him?"

"I-I don't think he meant to be hurtful!" Izumi said quickly. "I just..."

"I wish you wouldn't make excuses for him," he sighed. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Not really," she admitted.

"Alright."

They continued walking in silence for a minute.

"Nii-chan?"

"Yeah?"

"What were Mom and Dad like?" she asked, and Izuku frowned.

"Did Bakugo say something about you being an orphan?" he asked.

"No, that wasn't Kaachan," she shook her head, before stiffening. "I-I mean, no."

"Does your teacher not say anything about-Honestly, if we could afford it, I'd have moved you from Aldera long ago."

"You really don't have to worry, Izuku," Izumi promised, but she must've known she didn't sound convincing, because she changed the topic, "So? Mom and Dad?"

Izuku gave her a flat look, but ultimately decided to let it slide.

"Hmm. Well, I never knew Dad, but Mom was... Mom loved us so much. She struggled to take care of both of us, but she did her best. I grew up quirkless as well, and... it was hard. But she always made sure I knew I was loved. It was just the two of us, for the longest time. When you came along, she looked at you with all the love in the world."

Izumi was silent as he talked. Izuku looked over, and he hesitated at the lok on her face.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked as gently as he could.

"I-I... I don't-I can't remember her!" Izumi cried, breaking into sobs. "I'm sorry!"

Izuku got down on one knee and hugged his little sister, letting her wail into his shoulder.

"You don't have to apologize," he soothed. "You were only two when we lost her. She wouldn't blame you, and neither do I."

This did little to comfort her.

"I don't want to forget her," she sobbed.

"You won't. I'll tell you all about her. Anything you want to know."