Chapter 6: Electricity

The afternoon air was crisp as Emma and Kai strolled back toward Takemura Galleries after their lunch. Emma's heels clicked softly against the pavement, but she barely noticed, her thoughts entirely consumed by the enigmatic man walking beside her. The conversation between them had flowed easily during lunch, but now, something had shifted. Kai's once warm and open demeanor had become closed off, as though a wall had been erected around him.

"So," Emma began, hoping to pull him back into conversation, "we should probably start discussing dates for your exhibit. I'll need to coordinate with Mr. Takemura and make sure the space is ready for your work."

Kai didn't respond right away, his eyes fixed ahead, his hands buried deep in the pockets of his coat. He seemed distant, almost distracted, and it left Emma with an uneasy feeling in her chest.

"I was thinking maybe late fall?" she pressed gently, trying to keep her tone casual, though her curiosity was gnawing at her. "It would give us time to build anticipation."

Kai finally glanced over at her, his expression unreadable. "Maybe. I'll have to think about it."

There was something in his voice—a hesitation she hadn't heard before. It was as though he didn't want to talk about his art anymore, or perhaps, something deeper was holding him back. Emma furrowed her brow, her mind racing to piece together what could be bothering him. He had been so open earlier, so willing to share, but now he seemed guarded, almost as if he were hiding something from her.

"I understand," Emma said carefully, not wanting to push him too far. "I just want to make sure we do your work justice. Your art is... unlike anything I've ever seen before."

Kai's jaw tightened, and for a brief moment, Emma thought she saw a flicker of something—pain, maybe? Or was it fear? But just as quickly as it appeared, it vanished, leaving her more confused than ever.

"Thanks," he muttered, his voice low, almost reluctant. "I'll let you know."

They walked the rest of the way in silence, the tension between them growing with each passing step. Emma couldn't shake the feeling that something was off, that there was something Kai wasn't telling her. She was used to artists being temperamental, but this was different. This was something else entirely.

When they finally reached the gallery, the familiar sight of the building should have brought Emma some comfort, but instead, it only heightened her anxiety. She stopped at the entrance, turning to face Kai, who had come to a halt beside her.

"Well," she began awkwardly, trying to fill the sudden silence, "thank you for lunch. It was nice to finally talk with you about the exhibit."

Kai didn't respond immediately. Instead, he stood there, staring at her with an intensity that made her heart pound. His dark eyes seemed to search hers, as though he was looking for something he couldn't quite find.

And then, without warning, he reached out and took her hand. The moment his fingers touched hers, a jolt of electricity shot up her arm, so powerful and unexpected that she gasped. Her entire body tingled, and for a split second, it felt like the world had shifted beneath her feet, as if something otherworldly had passed between them.

What was that? Emma's mind raced as she tried to process what had just happened. The touch wasn't normal—nothing about it felt normal. It was as if Kai's very presence was... not entirely human. The thought sent a shiver down her spine, but before she could make sense of it, Kai's grip tightened ever so slightly, his eyes never leaving hers.

For a moment, it seemed like he didn't want to let go. His gaze was so intense, so deep, that Emma felt like he was pulling her into him, seeing through her, past her surface. Her heart raced, and her cheeks flushed with heat. There was a part of her that wanted to hold on, to stay in that moment just a little longer, even though her mind screamed that something wasn't right.