Chapter 7

Ryan's assistant wasn't exaggerating when he'd mentioned sending a team over to her apartment to get her ready for the evening. Sara had expected one or two people with a few bags of make-up and hair supplies. Turns out she had vastly underestimated the effort that went into being a billionaire's charity ball date.

By noon, her tiny apartment had transformed into a Barneys showroom. Suitcases of shoes and racks of gowns occupied every square inch of floor space. A dozen stylists buzzed around, stepping on top of each other as they collaborated on Sara's look for the evening.

Several hours later, the team put on the last of their finishing touches and gathered around to admire their handiwork.

"What a transformation," the lead stylist whispered to her assistant, who nodded in agreement.

"Gorgeous," said her hairdresser. "Mr. Clarke is going to be all over you tonight, sister."

Sara was about to fire back a sarcastic remark, catching herself just in time. Today was the first day of their pretend couple ruse. She had to remember that everyone else thought their relationship was real. She needed to keep her reactions in check if she planned to convince everyone that she and Ryan were an actual item.

"Let's hope so," she'd replied instead, attempting a demure giggle. How in the world was she going to keep this act up all night, much less until Ryan became CEO?

"Come on, it's time to look in the mirror, get the full effect." The petite pink-haired girl who'd helped select her ball gown grabbed her by the hand. Taking a deep breath to try and calm her nerves, Sara followed as she led her to a full-length mirror they'd propped up in the corner of her living room.

Sara didn't think it was possible, but they'd succeeded in keeping her look simple, yet elegant enough to befit a charity ball for New York City's most affluent and influential people. Despite all the make-up and styling, she still looked like herself.

"This gown was the perfect choice, and with your wavy hair swept to the side like this," the girl fluffed Sara's hair for emphasis, "you look straight out of an old Hollywood movie."

Sara did love the dress, a silvery blue gown with subtle beading that sparkled when it caught the light. It wasn't the most dazzling or dramatic of her choices, but it was by far her favorite. She liked that its beauty was subtle, the kind of dress you had to look at a few times before you could truly appreciate it.

The team of stylists gathered their endless bags and rolling racks, clearing out of Sara's apartment just in time for Ryan to arrive. Seeing him step out of the shiny black limousine filled her stomach with a fresh set of butterflies. He looked even more handsome than usual in his dark grey tuxedo. He'd even tamed his usual unruly hair for the occasion.

Sara suddenly felt self-conscious as she moved to answer the door. He'd never seen her so dressed up, in a designer ball gown with professionally applied makeup and perfectly styled hair. She'd never put so much effort into her looks before.

What would he think of her tonight? Would this change the way he saw her?

The thought of those questions made her uncomfortable. She steeled her courage and opened the door.

"Well, hello there," Ryan said, looking her up and down as if he couldn't quite believe what he was seeing. He paused for a moment, staring at her.

"What? No jokes about how many people it took to make me look half-way presentable?"

He shook his head, never taking his eyes off of her. "No jokes. I don't even know what to say. I'm actually speechless."

That look in his eyes...