03. A Troubled Refrain.

"Don't you think you're being a bit harsh?"

"What do you mean?" Jungeun took a bite of her food, her head slightly tilted.

"With Jiyoon. You haven't been very kind to her."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"What did she do to make you treat her like that?" Sarang dropped her utensils.

Jungeun stopped cutting her food, her gaze frozen on her plate as the words echoed in her mind.

"Nothing. She didn't do anything."

"You've changed, Jungeun..."

"You leave for two years and expect me to be the same as before?"

Sarang felt her muscles tense and a hollow in her chest.

"Sorry... I was selfish."

She averted her gaze to the table beyond Jungeun. There, Jiyoon laughed with a delicate smile and happiness, like the dew on a fresh morning flower.

"Do you see who's behind us?" A mischievous grin suddenly appeared.

"No." Jungeun wiped her hands on her napkin and stood up, making noise with her chair. "And I don't care."

She walked with irregular steps to the exit, feeling the intensity of a gaze that had become familiar, one that seemed to follow her every move with the attention of a hawk on the hunt.

In a corner of the café, the young woman in love watched with radiant eyes full of concern.

The sound of the exit filled the internal void she had felt at the sight of Jungeun's departure.

"Jiyoon!" Mai called. "Are you listening?"

Jiyoon shook her head. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"Forget it... It doesn't matter."

Jiyoon felt a light touch on her back.

"May I join you?" Sarang smiled radiantly, illuminated by the afternoon sun.

Mai pointed to the seat next to her with a smile. "Sorry, I don't think we've met."

"I'm Sarang. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, i'm Mai."

The atmosphere became awkward, the trivial chatter between the two newcomers was inaudible to Jiyoon, her ears vibrating and seeming to close.

"Excuse me, I have to go." Her gaze was fixed on the door; her hurried steps didn't respond to Mai's call.

The hurried pace behind Jungeun betrayed her presence.

The streets stretched out on the way, and the distance between them grew shorter.

Jiyoon would have lost sight of Jungeun if she hadn't quickly grabbed her hand.

Jungeun stopped, her hand tense in Jiyoon's. She didn't dare look at her, fearing what she might see in her eyes.

"Let me go." She said, her voice low and firm.

Jiyoon didn't release her hand. Instead, she gently squeezed it. "Why do you always leave?"

Jungeun turned to Jiyoon, her gaze meeting hers. For a moment, time stood still.

The city around them disappeared, and only the two of them remained, united by hand and gaze.

"I don't know what you want from me."

Jiyoon smiled, her gaze shining. "I want to know why you care so little about me."

Her eyes widened, feeling the impact of Jiyoon's words pierce her being. "It's not that I care little." She hesitated. "I just don't want you to get involved in my life."