10. Hot and Cold

Nathan guided Ava through the bustling police station, a firm hand on her back as she moved with visible fatigue. Her steps were slow, and her eyes, though alert, were shadowed with exhaustion.

They arrived at the chief's office, a cluttered room with mismatched furniture and a heavy scent of old coffee. Chief Dawson sat behind a desk overflowing with paperwork, his glasses perched on the tip of his nose. He barely looked up as they entered.

"Chief, this is Ava Hayes. She needs to give her statement about the kidnapping," Nathan said, his tone firm.

Dawson glanced up briefly, his eyes flickering with mild interest. "Alright, let's get this over with," he said, waving them to sit.

Ava sat down slowly, her hands trembling slightly. Nathan pulled a chair close to her, his presence a comforting anchor. "Take your time, Ava," he said softly. "Start from the beginning."

Ava took a deep breath, her voice steady but low as she recounted the harrowing events. "I was walking home from work when a van pulled up. They grabbed me and hit me on the head. By the time I woke up, I was in an abandoned warehouse..."

As she spoke, Nathan watched the chief closely. Dawson seemed distracted, his attention drifting to the paperwork on his desk. He nodded occasionally, but his eyes never fully focused on Ava.

"And then they brought me to this room. My hands were tied and it was too dark for me to see anyone's face. I noticed a man with a dagger tattoo on his forearm" Ava continued, her voice growing softer. "He offered me food, but I refused, thinking it might be poisoned or spiked."

"When I was left alone, I managed to escape through a broken window in one of the back rooms," Ava finished, her voice barely above a whisper.

Chief Dawson finally looked up, his expression unreadable. "Alright, we'll get this typed up. You can go now," he said, dismissively.

Nathan frowned. "Chief, isn't there more you need to ask? Details about those men or the location?"

Dawson shrugged. "She gave the basics. Besides, after an ordeal like that, it's common for victims to have hazy memories. We can't take every word as gospel."

Nathan's anger flared, but he kept his voice controlled. "She might get help remembering important details if the right questions get asked."

The chief sighed, clearly impatient. "We'll follow up if needed. For now, let her rest."

Nathan clenched his jaw but said nothing more. He helped Ava to her feet, guiding her out of the office. As they walked back through the station, he could feel the tension in her body.

"You're very brave, Ava," he said softly as they exited the building.

She gave him a tired smile, but it didn't reach her eyes. "I just did what I had to do. I felt fine as I was walking on the road earlier. But now I am feeling drained all of a sudden."

Nathan led her to his car, helping her inside. As he started the engine, he glanced over at her, noticing how pale and shaken she looked. "Let's get you home," he said gently. Ava hesitated, looking out the window. "Nathan, I... I don't think I can stay alone tonight. What if...?"

Nathan understood her words before she spoke them. "You don't have to," he said, making a decision. "You'll stay with me. My place is secure."

Ava nodded, relief washing over her face. "Thank you, Nathan. I... I would have asked Stacy or Jeremy but I don't think I can deal with their questions right now."

"It is alright. You can stay with me."

They drove in silence, the city lights blurring past. After half an hour they reached his place. Nestled in a secluded, upscale neighborhood, the house stood as a modern fortress, blending architectural elegance with cutting-edge security. The exterior features sleek dark stone and reinforced concrete, exuding aesthetic appeal and robust protection.