Epilogue

Athena

A funeral had never been more depressing than this one. You see, since my father hadn't left a body behind for us to bury, we hadn't had a funeral for him. A small gathering of close friends, but nothing extravagant; Albus Dumbledore's wishes had come true. He was being buried on Hogwarts grounds, and many people from the school we're there alongside their parents. It was a whole community of wizards who adored him. We were all suffering tremendous grief. I thought that of all people, Albus Dumbledore would live to see this war through. He was our hope, and now he was gone. Fred and I, along with Remus and Tonks, the Weasley's, Harry, and Hermione were sitting closer to the front. McGonagall wasn't far from us, and all of the teachers were there. All of them, except for one:

Professor Severus Snape.

The name itself sickened me. How could a man have someone put all their faith in him, and turn around and kill him. A man who trusted him, who saw good in all of his bad. His betrayal was devastating for everyone. Perhaps. McGonagall was right. He was on the dark side this whole time. I was beginning to like him, even, after he started to be nicer. But now, I hated myself for it. He killed a man whom everyone looked up to, who I adored.

Afterwards, Harry and I spent a lot of time together. And by a lot, I mean as much as he could before he had to go back to the Dursley's. I dreaded his seclusion. I wanted him to be able to grieve with us, to deal with his heartbreak, but it was dangerous. I knew that at the end of summer the three were leaving. It was obvious. Instead of being upset, I wanted to do my best to get my time with them now in case we couldn't later on. Harry couldn't tell my why they were leaving, as per Dumbledore's wishes. I respected it, but I wished he would let me help them. Maybe I could aid them in some way, make their journey less daunting.

The burrow that night was more solemn than it ever had been. Fred and I were each staying with our family tonight and maybe for the next week or so. With everything happening now, if we didn't spend time with them, we'd regret it forever. Even Remus' house wasn't the same. Remus went to bed unreasonably early and Eli and I stayed up every night in each other's arms. It was the only way she could get me to stop crying. Between extensive Auror training, and trying to keep myself mentally stable, I also wanted to make sure none of my family got hurt either. It caused me extreme exhaustion. I hadn't slept more than an hour in the past three days.

Later on that week, Remus and I sat together in the kitchen. We didn't say a word. We didn't have to, really. We both knew what the other was thinking. I. eventually looked up with a tear running down my face. I grabbed Remus' hand. Sometimes, even though I was a nineteen year old girl, I still needed him. He was my father, and my best friend, and right now was definitely one of those times. I needed him to get through the pain.

"I never thought in a million years that things would've turned out this way. That my dad would be dead, and my former headmaster, too. I wanted to see the best in Snape. I tried my best, and I almost liked him in my seventh year." I let out an empty laugh. "Remus, why did all this happen?" I whispered.

"Athena, I don't know, but I promise you, I'm here. I always will be. So will Tonks, Fred, Eli and everyone else. We're never leaving you."

"Remus, I can tell you one thing I've learned in these past years." I looked him the the eyes. He looked tired and worn down. Him and I had that in common, now. I understood his exhaustion. Life was difficult, and I was amazed he could keep up with it as well as he did.

"What's that, love?"

"I've learned to value my virtues. We can never dwell for too long. Nothing good will ever come of it." I gave his hand a squeeze. "You are one of the best things that's happened to me. I'm not able to explain how much I love you, Remus. You've been my biggest supporter, and I can't thank you enough. When we come through this," I paused, seeing a tear form in his eye. "I will help you have a life you gave me. Between Tonks and I, we will teach you love, and give you a lifetime worth of support. No more hurting over being a werewolf, no more grief. We will learn and grow from this. I will give back everything you gave to me. I will finally be able to thank you for what you've done for me."