XXXVII

A V A

A V A

Ava, you can't keep shutting yourself away from the world. You need to face reality. You can't spend your life hiding behind closed doors when there are people who truly care about you.

Jeremy has been waiting for you, night after night, sitting out in the cold just for a glimpse of you. And what have you done? You've turned your back on him.

My daughter, you can't live like this. It's time to move forward. I know you're not ready to face him, but he's waiting, eager to see you. Maybe he'll understand you more than you think. He might not react the way you're fearing.

Jeremy is patient, and he cares about you. Just go and talk to him."

Draping the hoodie over my shoulder, I let out a sigh, clutching the cold knob.

I can do this, I whispered to myself, though the tightness in my chest remained.

The door creaked as I stepped outside, scanning the empty room. He wasn't there, I searched for him inside the kitchen and everywhere. I ventured into the backyard. And there he was. In the fading daylight, he was cleaning the stable.

My heartbeat accelerated as I got a sight of him in his black shirt and black denim, sleeves rolled and his back facing me.

I couldn't run from him. I thought. He had been here for over two weeks now, despite my silence, despite me locking myself away. Every night, he stayed waiting. He made me food, leaving it outside my door, and sat in the cold weather, hoping I'd open it. Hoping I'd let him in.

But I didn't let her. Because I wasn't ready to face him.

When he turned around and saw me, he dropped the wooden slates on the floor which he was holding.

For a brief moment, I sensed surprise spark over his face, watching me standing there all of a sudden. He walked toward me, and my heart started thumping, and my hands became clammy.

"Can-can we go for a walk?" my voice came out in a whisper, barely audible.

He nodded. "Sure we can," he replied with a smile on his face, and I tried to smile back but ended up making a silly face.

"Are you hungry? Do you want anything to eat first, I'll cook it for you"

I nodded my head then shook it in no immediately and said. "I'm not hungry."

"what were you doing by the way?" I added quickly and kept my eyes fixed on the ground while chewing on my bottom lip, too afraid to look directly into his.

He was quiet for a moment, assessing me. "Repairing the stable for them," he said, pointing toward the bushes.

I glanced up, confused, following his gesture. My eyes widened as a familiar head poked out from behind the bushes. Asil.