009.

DAYS TURNED into months, and the twins' nameday approached—an occasion that would mark their sixteenth summer

DAYS TURNED into months, and the twins' nameday approached—an occasion that would mark their sixteenth summer. Eleanor Targaryen could hardly contain her excitement. The thought of celebrating with friends and family, the laughter and joy that would fill the halls of the Red Keep, made her heart race.

She envisioned the grand feast that would be laid out before them, tables adorned with golden goblets, rich foods, and sweet delicacies. Eleanor had always cherished the traditions surrounding their nameday—the songs sung in their honor, the dances that would fill the courtyard, and the warm embraces from their loved ones.

But this year felt different. As she sat in the sun-drenched gardens of the Red Keep, Eleanor couldn't shake the sense of impending change that loomed over her. The whispers of the court grew louder, their hushed tones speaking of alliances and betrayals, of power and ambition. Tensions simmered beneath the surface, a reminder that they were not just noble children celebrating a milestone; they were heirs to a legacy fraught with danger.

As she leaned against a stone wall, her violet eyes scanning the horizon, Daemon, her twin brother, approached. But instead of the familiar spark in his eyes, he wore a distant expression, one that she hadn't seen in a long time.

"Daemon," she called, trying to break through the wall he seemed to have erected between them. "Are you alright?"

He glanced at her, but his gaze quickly shifted back to the ground. "I'm fine," he replied curtly, the usual warmth in his voice replaced with an edge that sent a chill through her.

Eleanor's heart sank. "You don't seem fine. It's our nameday! We should be excited."

He shrugged, his demeanor closed off. "I have things to attend to. You know how it is."

"Things? What things?" she pressed, feeling a knot tighten in her stomach. "You can't just ignore this day because of...whatever it is you're thinking about. We're supposed to celebrate together."

Daemon shifted uncomfortably, avoiding her gaze. "You'll be fine without me, Eleanor. You always are. Just focus on enjoying the day. I'll be around."

His words stung, the distance between them stretching like a chasm. Eleanor felt an unfamiliar ache in her chest, a mix of disappointment and worry. This wasn't the brother she knew, the one who had always been by her side. "Daemon, please—"

"I said I'm fine!" he snapped, his voice rising. Then, as if realizing his tone, he took a deep breath and softened. "Just...leave me be for a while."

With that, he turned away from her, heading deeper into the gardens, his back a rigid line of resolve. Eleanor stood frozen, her heart racing as she fought against the swirl of emotions within her. She wanted to chase after him, to demand answers, but the sight of him retreating into the distance felt like a warning that something was off—something she couldn't quite grasp.