Chapter 21

When Snape left Harry's room, he had every intention of going straight to bed, though just as he reached his bedroom door, he heard the floo roar to life.

Snape could count on one hand the people who had access to floo into his home unannounced, and since his parents would have the decency to use the front door, or at the very least send a note ahead, it could only be...

"Sev?"

Remus.

Snape rolled his eyes before turning away from his room with a sigh and heading back downstairs.

"What could you possibly want, Remus?" Snape asked when he entered the living room.

"I heard about what happened at the tournament," Remus said as he took a seat in one of the armchairs. "Is everyone alright?"

Snape nodded. "Everyone is fine. A bit shaken up but that's to be expected." He took the chair opposite Remus and waved his wand silently. A bottle of Firewhiskey and two tumblers appeared on the table between them and Snape poured them both a glass.

Remus took the proffered glass before reaching into the pocket of his robes and pulling out a copy of the morning paper. He passed it to Snape and said, "The Daily Prophet sent out an early edition. Do they know who cast the Dark Mark?"

Snape glanced down at the front of the paper, a picture of the Dark Mark writhing against the early morning sky and shook his head. "No. All the Death Eaters disapparated the moment the Ministry arrived, but the damage was already done. They caused the panic they wanted."

Remus took a long swallow of his drink before leaning forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "I suppose we should just be grateful no one was terribly hurt, but I can't help but feel like this is only the beginning."

Sighing, Snape nodded. "I know what you mean," he said before they both grew quiet, each lost in their own thoughts of both present and past.

They sipped their drinks until at last, Remus stood. "I better get back," he said. "You should get some sleep."

"Remus," Snape said, causing him to turn back. "I've already told the boys, and I'm sure by now all the Weasley's know, so you won't be the first, but you can be among the first to know..."

Remus looked at him in confusion, his brows raised nearly into his hairline. "What are you going on about? First to know what?" he asked.

Snape ran his finger along the edge of the glass as he spoke the words that he still couldn't even believe were true. "I asked Evelyn to marry me," he said softly, "and she said yes."

Snape glanced back up at Remus only to find him smiling brightly.

"Sev, that's wonderful news!" Remus retook his seat, though he sat on the very edge and faced Snape. "I take it Harry and Draco took the news well?"

Snape inclined his head. "Mostly," he said. He didn't want to get into anything more tonight, though he did add, "Change is hard for Harry, but he's alright."

Remus nodded. "Of course he is. It'll be a transition, but he'll be fine once he gets used to the idea. When are you planning to break the news to Mum and Dad?"

Snape's brows creased and he sat his glass down on the table with a soft thunk. "Oh, I don't know. I hadn't really—" He trailed off and looked away.

Remus laughed. "You're afraid to tell her."

"I'm not," Snape said firmly.

"I don't think you need to worry," he said as he stood once more. "I'm sure she'll be thrilled. Probably."