Thirty Five | B A D B E H A V I O R

I quickly snuck into Rafes bedroom and I put makeup over my black eye. Then I went to find Rafe to talk to him. "Hey, so what's this party for? And where's Tommy?"

Rafe flashed his charming smile, "Tommy's at daycare, and this is our engagement party, babe. We're eloping tomorrow, remember?" He wrapped his arm around me, pulling me close. "Now, if you would kindly follow me, Mrs. Cameron."

I raised an eyebrow, intrigued. He led me out of the room and onto the balcony, where the sound of laughter and clinking glasses filled the air. The warm breeze carried the scent of champagne and perfume.

"V.I.P section," Rafe announced, his eyes twinkling with pride.

"V.I.P?" I repeated, curiosity getting the better of me.

Rafe chuckled, "Only very, very special people are allowed here." He guided me to the ledge of the upstairs patio, where the breathtaking view of the coast stretched out before us.

As we stood there, Rafe pointed out to the ocean, his gaze drifting toward the horizon. "So you can see the water."

I nodded, taking in the stunning scenery, but my mind was elsewhere. I needed to talk to Rafe about my dad. "That's great, but—"

Rafe's attention was drawn away by one of the partygoers, and he shouted, "Hey, that ain't no Jim Beam bullshit. All right? That's Pappy Van Winkle. That's like a day's salary, bro!"

I rolled my eyes, feeling frustrated by the interruption. I tugged on his arm, trying to steer him back to me. "I need to talk to you," I said, my voice firm but gentle.

Rafe turned back to me, his expression apologetic. "Okay, come on, we'll talk inside." He wrapped his arm around me once more, and we made our way back into the house.

"Don't go running," Barry called out.

Rafe winked at me. "Give me five minutes, Scar. I'll meet you in our room." He exchanged a dap with Barry.

I let out a sigh and I made my way downstairs, if I couldn't talk to Rafe right now I was determined to find Lilah and discuss the business proposition I had in mind.

After searching the crowded rooms, I finally spotted Lilah by the pool, her laughter echoing across the patio. I approached her, and we stepped into my office, away from prying eyes and wagging tongues.

As I sat down behind my desk, I booted up my laptop and showed her my website. "I want to offer you a deal, Lilah," I began, "You'll be in charge of organizing the events. Gathering other employees to plan the events. Meanwhile, I'll focus on the financial aspects, investing the profits into something bigger."

Lilah leaned forward, her interest piqued. "That sounds like a great opportunity," she said, "I can round up some friends who might be interested in helping out."

I beamed with delight, "That would be amazing, Lilah. I appreciate your help."

With our business deal settled, I made my way back upstairs, Steeling myself for the conversation that awaited me. Rafe was waiting in our room, and I approached him. He looked sadder than when I first saw him.

As I climbed back up the stairs, my heart raced in anticipation of the conversation that lay ahead. I needed to confess to Rafe about my secret, about the black eye I had hidden beneath my makeup. I took a deep breath, steeling myself for the revelation, and pushed open the door to our bedroom.

"So, my dad is missing in South America," I began. I walked over to my desk, where I kept a stash of makeup wipes. I pulled one out and gently wiped away the concealer on my eye , revealing the faint bruise beneath. "I went looking for him and got this." I pointed to my black eye.