The joys of high school

I didn't stay for dinner the night before as school texted everyone and announced that school is open today. Yay. Though Vidia did lend me some CDs which I promised to listen to, and so far I've kept my promise. I wait outside of James' with my head pressed against the head rest and my eyes closed, Skillet blaring – thanks to Vidia's advice. We talked for another hour last night, discussing music and other bands.

"Three more years and I'm out of there." James jumps in, startling me slightly. "I don't think there is a second where she isn't praying." He tosses his bag over the back. I widen my eyes in agreement and pull off the curb as James turns the music down.

"Come on, you didn't even give them a chance." I complain.

"It's just the same shit you always listen to."

"No it's not. It's new. Vidia gave it to me."

"Really?" his voice goes high pitched. "So you did go on a date with her?" He questions.

"I suppose..." I shrug. "Where'd you hear that?" Though I'm already sure I know the answer.

"Amber messaged me last night. Said that you two were at the café and that was after you ditched Caroline, and I heard that Vidia gave her a mouth full." He laughs. "Then she said that you took off and almost got everyone killed."

"Phft..." I scoff. "Killed, please. It was utter skill, my friend."

"Yeah...I'm sure." He pauses. "So? Tell me everything." Irritation that I hadn't told him sooner lingers in his voice.

"We had lunch, we went back to her place - it's amazing by the way, like something out of a movie. Anyway I had a tour, we talked, we listened to music, I met one of her friends, and we talked some more. That's it. Then I went home." I inform with a smug look on my face. James just stares at me with disbelief.

"And that's it?" He questions and I raise an eyebrow, giving him a sideways glance.

"Yes. That was all. Why? What else is going around?" I ask, worrying that Caroline has started another rumour that now involves me.

"No, nothing. I was just interested. I mean did yous'..." He drops his voice and leaves his sentence unfinished.

"What? No!" I firmly end that idea before it flourish anymore. "We've known each other a week! We had lunch!" I confirm all my details. "No sexual activity was commenced." I shoot him a firm glance.

"Okay, okay. Just curious." He throws his hands up in defence. "Not even a kiss?" He squeezes in and quickly winces in brace for anything I might say.

"No." I sigh, wishing we had.

"Damn." James mumbles and I agree. "Anyway, I hope she's prepared for today. Everyone's teeming to meet her. The buzz on her is off the charts." Yes, today is the day that the whole of school gets to meet Vidia. Today is the day she gets to go on show, brought up in front of everyone, put on display for everyone's benefit, their ridicule and judgment.

"How bad have Caroline's rumours gotten?" Vidia says she's strong and that this isn't her first rodeo, and I believe her, so far she's lived up to her attitude, but it's no secret that words can do more damage knives and eventually even the strongest ones break.

"I don't know, she's been pretty quiet actually. Maybe that's a good thing."

"That's never a good thing." I accelerate and James grabs the oh-shit-bar.

"Dude. Remember the rules? No fast and furious whilst I'm in the car."

"Oh relax." I hope I beat Vidia to school. Caroline never keeps her mouth shut and moves on without causing pain to those who don't abide by her rules.