Forty | T H E T R I A L

I stand in the packed courtroom, my heart racing like a runaway train. It's been months of back-and-forth, with endless testimony and cross-examinations. But today, finally, we get the verdict. Today, I find out if Mason, the monster who assaulted me, will pay for his crimes.

I stood at the witness stand, my hands clasped tightly in my lap, my heart a frantic drum against my ribs. Every eye in the room seemed to be on me, a spotlight shining on the vulnerability I desperately tried to conceal.

Rafe, sat behind me in the stands. He's been with me every step of the way, through every sleepless night, every anxiety-filled morning. Without him, I don't know how I would have made it this far.

The judge began to speak. "The court has carefully reviewed all evidence presented, considered the testimonies of all witnesses, and deliberated on the severity of the actions committed by the defendant, Mason Bridgers." My breath hitched in my throat. He continued, "The evidence presented undeniably proves Mr. Bridgers guilt in the assault of Scarlett Cameron." A wave of relief washed over me. But it was quickly replaced by a knot in my stomach and a question mark hovering in my mind – what would the sentence be...

My heart hammered in my chest as the judge's words continued. "...and after careful consideration, the court finds the defendant, Mason Bridgers, guilty as charged, the court sentences him to five years in prison, along with a fine of fifty thousand dollars." the judge declares, his voice firm.

I hold my breath, five years?

The words echoed in my ears. My eyes stung with unshed tears. Five years? Was that all?

From the stands behind be, Rafe's voice erupted, shattering the courtroom's silence. "Five years? What the fuck is that? He needs to rot his ass in jail!"

The judge's gavel comes down, demanding order in the court. But Rafe doesn't back down. "Fuck the order, she deserves more justice than that," he yells, his eyes blazing with fury.

Chaos erupted and security guards rushed towards Rafe and Rafe was pulled from the hearing, his shouts fading as he was escorted out of the courtroom.

The commotion dies down, and the judge's voice brings me back to reality. "Mason, please stand."

Mason stood and then he was led away in handcuffs, his face a mask of defeated arrogance. He was taken back to the cold, sterile confines of his cell, a place he deserved to be for a much, much longer time.

I stood there, disappointment that the sentencing wasn't harsher, it didn't reflect the depth of the damage he had inflicted. Tears finally spilled, silently falling down my cheeks.

I eventually made my way out of the courtroom, my legs trembling. I scanned the area, searching for Rafe. And there he was, pacing outside the courthouse.

He spotted me and his face softened, his anger melting as he made his way towards me. I walked towards him and threw my arms around him, burying my face in his chest. He held me tightly.
"Let's get out of here," he murmured.

We drove in silence for a while, eventually, we pulled up outside the country club. We settled in a place at the bar and we ordered drinks.

"That was...intense," Rafe said, finally breaking the silence. "I can't believe they only gave him five years."

"I know," I replied, my voice still shaky. "It feels...like shit."

"He should be locked up for life," he said, his voice filled with the righteous anger that had gotten him into trouble in the courtroom.

I nodded, but then, I squeezed his hand, a silent acknowledgment that dwelling on it wouldn't help. We needed to move forward, not backward.

"How's the event planning going?" he asked, changing the subject sensing my concern.