Chapter 3

The First Sign of Magic

Pov: 3rd Person

Nearly ten years had passed since that dull, grey Tuesday on which our story began, but Privet Drive had hardly changed at all.
Apart from the weather, as the sun could now be seen shining.

Really it was only the photos the Dursleys kept that showed any forward movement in time.

Ten years ago, the mantelpiece was full of Dudley's baby photos. 'A large pink beach ball.' As he was described by a distant relative.
The next year that very same relative did not receive a Christmas card from the Dursleys - much to her relief.

Now the mantelpiece was full of a round blonde boy and his - minimal - accomplishments.

There was no sign, or picture, to suggest that there was another boy ( and his sister ) were living in the same house.

• • •

'Get. Up!' Screamed Mrs Dursley banging on the door to the cupboard under the stairs, 'It's Dudley's birthday and I need you to watch the bacon!'

Astella woke with a start.

Her aunt banged on the door again.

'Up!' Her shrill voice woke Harry this time.

The twins looked at each other from their top - to - tail single beds that were crammed into the cupboard. There wasn't room for one, let alone two.

Harry and Astella heard their aunt walk to the kitchen and put the cooker on.

'I had this dream -' began Astella.

'- of a flying motorbike-' finished Harry.

'- and a giant!' Giggled Astella.
'How did you know?' She asked, a faint smile on her face.

'Us twins, we know things.' Harry stated.

'But that doesn't make sense. I don't know what dream you had and I'm a twin too!'

'Don't be silly, of course you know things about me before I tell you, sometimes before I know myself. In fact you definitely know what dream I had -'

Their aunt was back.

'Are you up yet?' She demanded.

'Almost.' Harry rolled his eyes and flung himself back onto the bed; letting out a soft breath of air as he hit the surface.

'Well almost isn't good enough. Hurry up!'

Astella swung her legs out of bed, snatched Harry's glasses and opened the door to the "bedroom".

'Get a move on!' Aunt Petunia screeched.

Harry groaned, pulling the pillow from behind his head to cover his face.

'What did you say?' She snapped.

'Nothing, nothing...' Harry's voice was muffled by the pillow.

Dudley's birthday - how could he have forgotten...

'Because you have the memory of a sieve.' A quiet voice whispered around the door frame.

A giggle and the sound of gentle feet.

Harry grinned and grabbed Astella's square shaped, tortoise shell glasses before following her reluctantly and walking down the hallway.

• • •

The bacon was already done, some strange silver sparks spitting off the browning strips - which must have been oil.

'Bacon's burning.' Harry called, 'And I'm not about to save it.'
Astella came rushing in, a piece of buttered toast in her mouth, the cinnamon in her hand.
She let out an indistinguishable 'Harry!' She gestured at the pan with her toast - now out of her mouth.

But she must have knocked the frying pan with her elbow because it tipped over, spilling bacon onto the plate Astella was about to put her toast on.

Her eyes widened and a faint 'Cinnamon!' could be heard.

• • •

Once the bacon was dealt with, the twins took it in turns to get ready.

Astella tugged on a dress, a little too short as she hadn't been allowed to buy anything new in about two years, and some ankle boots which she would get into trouble for later.

She pulled her hair into a neat ponytail, pulling one of the silvered sections out to hide the crescent moon on her forehead.

To complete "the look", as Harry referred to it, she stuck her hand out from behind the bathroom door, gesturing to Harry, and received her glasses in return.

Astella gave her brother a twirl, curtsied to his applause and held the door open for him as they swapped.

This time Harry's hand appeared from behind the door and Astella put his wiry glasses carelessly into his palm.

You see this was now a comforting routine, whoever woke up first got first pick of the glasses.
Of course Astella had a pair and so did Harry, though his were in dire need of repair or replacement, but it made them smile to see - or not - their siblings crash into walls and counters or stick out their hands to stop themselves from walking into things.
It only spanned the morning, to avoid lecture, but it was fun while it lasted.

• • •

Astella smiled, a proper smile this time, it lit up her green eyes and the mysterious silver flecks that appeared in her hair, glittered in her eyes.
The smile told Harry that she was content, happy, the two things that Harry wished he could bring more of into her life.

• • •

An argument was happening in the kitchen. 

Astella backed into the cupboard but Harry walked confidently into the kitchen. Astella slowly followed, encouraged by Harry's childish strut.

He wasn't about to miss out on the bacon and eggs Astella had slaved over.
Her cooking reminded him of home. 

She was home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N I hope you enjoyed that chapter!! You can tell where I'm getting to grips with the whole writing a story thing! XD

Well, I will see you next week for the great snake escape!

Thank you so much for reading xxx

Amateur writer out

PenOnParchment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count - current chapter: 892
Page count - current chapter: 4
Word count - total: 2,223
Page count - total: 9