Chapter 1

Strange Happenings

Pov: 3rd Person

Mr and Mrs Dursley, number four, Privet Drive were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn't hold with such nonsense.

Which is exactly why it was the perfect place to hide the boy who lived. And his twin.

The Dursleys couldn't bear the thought of someone finding out about the Potters.

Mrs Potter was Mrs Dursleys sister but they had not met in many years. In fact they did not so much as write or wish each other congratulations on special occasions.
It is also worth to know that many people thought Mrs Dursleys was an only child, for that is what she liked to pretend anyway.

But the Potters had their own children - another reason to keep them away - the Dursleys certainly didn't want their son mixing with that sort.

• • •

Outside on a dull, grey Tuesday, there was nothing remotely out of the ordinary to suggest that strange and mysterious things would soon be happening.

It was a normal day for the Dursleys. Mr Dursley picked out his gravest tie for work as Mrs Dursley gossiped to a screaming Dudley.

None of them noticed - why would they - the large tawny owl which flew past their window.

• • •

It was really only until he reached the corner of the street that Mr Dursley began to notice the strange happenings.

A cat reading a map.

Mr Dursley could not believe what he saw even as he jerked his head around to look again.

There certainly was a cat.
But not a map.

It must have been the light he thought as the cat stared back. Mr Dursley drove away but watched the cat in his mirror.
It was now reading the sign which said 'Privet Drive' - no, looking.
Cats did not read. Be that maps or signs.

Mr Dursley shook himself and put all thoughts of cats out of his mind.

• • •

Mr Dursley drove through town in his shiny grey Ford, having put all thoughts of cats and maps out of his mind, determind to focus on his work in the office and his new project that guaranteed him a promotion - and a large sum of money that would come his way.

He did, however, notice that there seemed to be a lot of people dressed strangely, extravagantly.

People in cloaks to be specific. Bright colours and gold stitching. Some had pointed hats on.

Mr Dursley couldn't stand people dressed strangely.
It bothered him that people couldn't find suitable daywear to go out in.
It annoyed him that people went out in whatever they pleased, not having a care in the world for other people or how they felt about their crazed way of dressing.

It must be some new kind of fashion he concluded, irritated, as he drove on, attempting to ignore the strangers and the cat, who had both frustrated him enough already that gloomy Tuesday morning.

• • •

Mr Dursley always sat with his back to the window in the office.
He found facing it distracted him.

That morning, he would have certainly found himself distracted by the sight of owls swooping back and forth in broad daylight.

But as I have said before, he did not face the window on that dull, grey Tuesday.

• • •

As Mr Dursley walked back to his car he glared angrily at the people in cloaks.

They made him feel uneasy.

He was on his way past a small group of them, gathered on the pavement; he was walking extremely quickly so as not to look at them any longer than he needed, when he caught a few words of their conversation.

'The Potters, yes that's right, that's what I heard -'

'- Yes their son, Harry -'

Mr Dursley stopped dead.

Fear flooded him.

He looked back at the whisperers, considered saying something and thought better of it.

He dashed across the road and back to his office, seized his telephone and almost finished dialing the home number but again, he thought better of it and slowly put the receiver down.

• • •

As Mr Dursley locked his office for the day, he contemplated the strangness of the days events.
Lost in thought as he paced swiftly to his car, he walked straight into one of the cloaked strangers.

'Sorry,' he grunted, as the tiny man in a violet cloak stumbled and fell.

'Don't be sorry,' the man replied, 'rejoice because You-Know-Who is gone! Even Muggles like you should be celebrating!'
And the old man hugged Mr Dursley around the waist and walked off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N So the first chapter. As you can tell, it was quite short, but first chapters always are!

Thank you so much for reading, I can't wait to get back into this!

I'll see you next week.

PenOnParchment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count - current chapter: 783
Page count - current chapter: 3
Word count - total: 783
Page count - total: 3