Chapter 4: Jax

6 months

"This stings like a bitch," I mutter through gritted teeth, my hand instinctively clutching the mark. The burn pulses under my skin, but that's not what's really bothering me. It's the sudden emptiness that hits after we pulled away from Harper. Her touch, her scent, the way her lips felt under my forceful kiss—it's all I can think about. My cock's been hard ever since. And yet, knowing what she is and the trouble she can bring, I still crave her. Every instinct screams to claim her, to make her mine, no matter the danger that comes with it.

"It's not like you to get involved with a witch," Ashton says, his eyes scanning me as if making sure I'm not about to drop dead. I stare out at the road, ignoring the pain as best I can. He knows I'll heal, but I can hear the concern in his voice.

"I didn't know—she doesn't smell like one," I reply, my mind drifting back to Harper. I can still feel her full lips on mine, the way her body felt pressed against me. I would've taken her right there in the alley if we hadn't been interrupted. My desire for her is unbearable. My wolf is howling inside me, driving me mad with the need to go back to her now – mine, he growls.

Ashton pulls me from my thoughts. "Yeah, it's faint, but it's there."

Fuck. How did I miss this? A witch. It's already hard enough dealing with Dawn in town, messing around in our affairs—now another one? We know Dawn is working for Drake and has been trying to scope the bar out for months. Dawn is a witch that Ashton's father knew back in the day—powerful and crazy, his words, not mine. She would either be high on power or drugs, but both were methods for her madness. Later on, I found out she was the one who put a spell on my Dad, luring him into the woods so Drake's father could kill him. My father wasn't a bad guy; he just got his hands dirty once and was never forgiven. It was the day I hated witches and never wanted to be around them. It was best not to cross her, and she knew it. She wouldn't use cloaking spells around us; she wanted us to know she was watching.

We pull up to the doctor's office, and Oliver rushes out. "What happened?"

"Jax got distracted by pussy and got stabbed by Drake's goons," Ashton says casually with a cheeky smile. Oliver lifts my shirt and inspects the wound. I shoot Ashton a look, thankful he didn't mention the witch part. We've always had each other's backs, and I know he's keeping this secret just as much for me as for the pack.

"It's not like you to get distracted, Jax. She must have been worth it," Oliver says, his English accent thick as he tries to sound like one of the boys. It's always a bit funny hearing him talk that way. Good doctor, though.

"Yeah, I know. It's not usually my style," I mutter, thinking back to Harper. "But she was hot."

Not hot—beautiful. She is mine, my wolf whispers in my mind, possessive and insistent.

"It's already starting to heal. Come inside; let me check for any silver shards," Oliver says. Ashton helps me inside, though I could've walked on my own. Still, I let him help, just in case the wound opens up again.

"Lie down for me." I get onto the bed, staring up at the ceiling as Oliver and Ashton continue talking, their conversation shifting to something else like I'm no longer the main concern.

"Yeah, sounds good, Alpha," I hear Oliver say as he fiddles with something in a bowl.

"Hello?" I snap, my tone sharper than necessary. I'm more agitated than anything. I couldn't finish what I started with Harper, and it's driving me insane. I need to heal fast so I can find her again.

"Thanks, Doc," I say as Ashton walks over, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Stop whinging, you big baby. You're not going anywhere," Ashton teases, then lowers his voice. "I asked the Doc to call some of his contacts, to pull some recon on Vivian."