Chapter 5: Harper

6 months 

I wake up early, still basking in the glow of the most amazing night of sex I've ever had. The ache between my legs is more than worth it after Jax worshipped my body all night. He lies beside me, breathing softly, his rhythm calming my nerves about seeing Drake later. I roll over and plant a gentle kiss on his cheek before easing myself on top of him, straddling his belly.

He reacts instantly, grabbing my hips and pulling me down. His beautiful blue eyes flutter open, and he looks at me with a mix of desire and surprise.

"Slow down, stallion; mumma needs a break," he chuckles, flipping me onto my back. Slowly, he begins to make his way down my body, kissing me as he goes. I can't help but moan with every caress he delivers. I don't think I'll ever tire of this; he knows how to please a woman like no one else has before. But then a flash of jealousy strikes me as thoughts of other women go through my mind. Stop it, Harper. I remind myself to marvel in his sweetness as he worships me.

I've had good sex, sure, but nothing compares to this. It feels like more than sex—it feels like a connection.

"Let me kiss it better?" he whispers, lightly kissing my clit before using his tongue to explore at a leisurely pace. I moan for more, my hands tangling in his hair as I guide him where I want him. He picks up the pace, and before I know it, I'm exploding like a rocket.

He moves back up my body, laying next to me as his eyes flicker from wolf to blue. I reach for his hard cock, but he stops me.

"Not yet," he growls, suddenly getting off the bed and standing in the corner of the room.

"What's wrong?" I ask, feeling a flutter of confusion. This is the first time all night he's rejected my touch, and I won't lie—it doesn't sit well with me.

"Just give me a minute," he growls again, taking deep breaths. His ass looks amazing from this angle, and I can't help but admire this gorgeous man in front of me. When he turns slowly and catches me with a flirty smile, I bite my lip, silently telling him, me likey.

"Harper?"

I crawl toward him on the bed and then jump into his arms, wrapping my legs around him and kissing his neck. When I hop off, I look up at him with concern.

"You okay?" I ask, my gaze searching his face. The worry is evident there, so I poke at the wrinkle in his brow, trying to ease it away and coax a smile from him.

"My wolf wants you." I step back from him, feeling like he's toning it down for my sake.

Wants for a wolf always means more. It means mark. Not that I'm not wanting it too—I've never felt anything like this for anyone before. But really, one night of hot sex? I don't think I want that. 

"Oh?" I look down, trying to avoid seeing the rejection on his face. I know I asked the question, but I didn't expect the answer to be a confusing blend of yes and no fucking way. A wave of discomfort washes over me, prompting me to step away from him and head to the bathroom, turning on the shower.

As I wait for the water to heat up, I step in. Honestly, this shower is heaven; the showerhead is huge—well, with the way Jax is, he needs a big showerhead. I catch him standing at the door, watching me.

"Are you coming in?" I turn to him, catching a glimpse of uncertainty in his eyes. "Hurry up before I change my mind or use all the hot water." 

He steps in, his massive body filling the space, confirming my assumption about the showerhead.

"Are we going to talk?" he finally says, grabbing the soap and lathering it across his hands. The way he washes himself—especially his cock—usually wouldn't appeal to me, but the sight of Jax has me losing my mind.