CHAPTER 22: A real fucking nightmare

Last night, after Megumi had told Mai off with that sharp, biting remark, he did not give her a second glance before he simply took my hand into his and led me away from the table, away from everyone, from the noise and the tension, his grip steady and reassuring.

The air outside had felt cool against my skin, a stark contrast to the heat swirling in my chest. We had walked in comfortable silence, side by side, as Megumi guided me down a quiet, lantern-lit path.

The stars were scattered across the night sky, a peaceful contrast to the chaos we had just left behind.

We did not say much, because we did not really need to.

The way Megumi had held my hand in front of everybody, without hesitation, almost like he claimed me... It was like a public declaration without words

That simple gesture felt so intimate, so undeniable, and while I had felt everyone's eyes on us, I could not care less. All that had mattered to me in that moment was that Megumi was showing them, showing me how close we actually were.

The flutter of excitement mixed with a slight nervousness at being seen like that, yet the warmth of his hand in mine had made me feel like I was floating.

And as Megumi had led me away from the party, he kept his fingers intertwined with mine until we reached my room, where he stopped at the door, his eyes scanning my face with a tenderness that made my heart flutter.

He gently slided the door open, leading me inside.

I felt shivers of warmth when I had readied myself for bed, climbing into bed with Megumi still there, the sheets cool beneath me.

He sat  by the edge, watching me with those soft eyes as I nestled into the blankets. He leaned down, pulling the covers up a little higher, tucking me in with such gentle care that my chest swelled with affection.

Then, he kissed me — just a tender brush of his lips against mine, but it was enough to send my heart racing.

"Goodnight, Ida," he whispered, his voice low and sweet.

"Goodnight, Megumi," I replied, feeling completely and utterly consumed by my feelings for him.

He had lingered for a moment, his hand resting on my arm, before stepping back and slipping out of the room, leaving me wrapped in a cocoon of warmth and love.

As I drifted off to sleep, my mind was full of him — of how lucky I was, how deep my feelings for him ran. It was like my heart was overflowing with him, with the way he made me feel safe, cared for, and so deeply desired.

I fell asleep thinking of him.

However, as the night grew darker, so did something inside of me, and when my subconscious took over, I had a nightmare.

Like, a real fucking nightmare.

In the dream, everything felt painfully vivid.

The room I was in was dim, soft light filtering through the window as if the sun could not decide whether to rise or set. I stood frozen, watching from the black shadows as Mai's voice echoed through the air, smooth and confident.

"I'm better for you," she said, her voice dripping with arrogance as she hovered near Megumi. 

He was sitting on the edge of a bed, his face impassive at first, but then... then, he looked at her.

Like, really  looked at her.

My heart clenched, a sharp ache settling in my chest.

"I know," Megumi finally said, his voice low, almost resigned.