Carpe that Diem

"Eight months!" Seal Chief Esposito exclaimed. "By my mana, girl, you've been fucking him this long! No wonder it took you so long to get promoted." she cackled, then swallowed more Boars Light.
"It's not that I don't want to, it's just-" Mellie started.
"It's just nothing!" Esposito finished for her. "Ya know when i first welcomed ya to the Corps, I saw a woman who wasn't afraid to show her feelings. Never in my life have I seen anyone give Mathers attitude!" she paused then motioned to herself. "Other than myself, of course, but he and I have history."
The was she said "history" made it seem like they dated once, or were married even. Melissa's eyes darted to the Seal Chiefs ring finger.
"Listen, girly, imunna level with you." the chief set her can down, leaning across the table to take hold of her Lieutenant's gaze. "I only lost out on a lifetime of happiness because i had a problem." r words weren't a soup of slurring words. Even her posture was more refined. It was like watching a blazing fire being focused into a fine lazer. "And even though he gave me several chances to open up to him, I couldn't. I felt like I was drowning in a pool, and even though he told me all I had to do was put my feet beneath me and stand up, I chose to keep flailing around. It was almost like I couldn't listen to him, no matter how much I wanted to." she ran her forefinger around the rim of the can, her mind elsewhere as they sat in silence.
Melissa took a large swig of her whiskey, relishing the burning sensation that traveled down her chest and into her stomach. She wiped her face, her coordination faltering so badly she smeared the whiskey up her nose. The chief handed her a napkin.
She thought about Espostios words. Damien had all but screamed that he was safe for her. That he wouldn't change his mind about her ever because he loved her.
The captain belched, and ordered a final can of Boars and a manhattan for her "Lovely Lieutenant."
And she wanted to completely trust him. Part of her did, especially on the night she felt how he really felt about her.
But she couldn't. And it wasn't that she wouldn't. But it was like there was some spell on her that made it impossible to do it.
"Chief?"
"Natalie." the chief objected. "You're gonna have to start calling me Natalie when we're not on the clock." she paused then added, "Matter of fact call me Nat. and if you don't call me Nat you'll be on paperwork for the next-"
"I dont have all night,'' Melissa interrupted. She was getting a little impatient. She was supposed to "Nulu and Chill" with Damien in twenty minutes, and it was at least a fifteen minute flight to his condo. Natalie Esposito reared back in shock, then smiled. "Nat."
Theres that fiery girl i know, her eyes said.
"How would you, if you were me, touch the pool's bottom? To actually stand up?" She knew the metaphor resembled a different issue between her and her chief. But, the answer to their issues must have been similar. And the remorse in her eyes showed Natalie already knew the answer.
Chief Esposito pondered a moment, her eyes scanned over Melissa. Then, she smirked. "Carpe Diem."
"What?"
"Car-pay-dee-yum." she snapped her fingers on every syllable. "Just do it."
"I'm not drunk enough for this."
"Just do it. Dont get hung up on the what ifs of the future." she finished her beer in a flash. "Instead, just get lost in the moment." the chief let that sink in amoment before continuing. "In fact, don't come in to work tomorrow if you haven't carpe'd that diem."
"Okay." Melissa had. She took a sip of her cocktail, then chewed on and ice cube.
Is that even a real phrase?
"I'm serious Maple.'' The Chief tried the last of her beer can, though she couldn't get more than a few drops from the can. "Aw." the chief rose from the booth they were at, slapping a thirty on the counter and closing out her tab. She began an obvious attempt at flirting with the young bartender, who didn't catch any of her hints.
By the time the chief closed the tab, failed to seduce the bartender and come back to melissa, the young Liertenant had already figured out how she wanted to seize the moment.
"So," Natalie Esposito asked, "Are you gonna carpe that diem or not?"
"Oh, yeah." melissa smirked. "But i'm gonna need a couple days off first."
Esposito smiled, nodding at her Lieutenant in admiration. "Fine. we'll take care of the paperwork when you get back to the department." the chief didn't even hesitate. She seemed eager for Melissa to let her feet touch the bottom of the pool, as she put it. "Now get out of my face, girly, you're delaying my dick appointment."
"I'm delaying you?!" mellie scoffed, making her way for the door. "Good night, Nat!"