Chapter 5:Threads of Friendship and Secrets

Chapter 5: Threads of Friendship and Secrets

Anne and Maris's friendship blossomed quickly over the next few weeks, turning the mundane drudgery of kitchen work into something slightly more tolerable. They started sharing inside jokes, trading whispered complaints about the head cook, and sneaking glances at each other whenever something particularly ridiculous happened—like the time the cook yelled at a maid for stirring a pot too aggressively.

It was Maris's unflappable humor that made the hard days easier to bear. Every time Anne felt like she was reaching her breaking point, Maris would come in with some comment or a silly face, pulling her back from the edge.

One afternoon, as the two of them scrubbed the kitchen floor, Maris leaned in conspiratorially. "So, what was it like? Your 'faraway' place?"

Anne glanced around, making sure no one was listening. "It's... different. Really different."

Maris raised an eyebrow. "Different how? Like, is it full of dragons and magical creatures? Or are the castles even bigger than this one?"

Anne laughed, though there was a pang of nostalgia for the modern world. "No dragons. Sadly. Just... a lot more noise. People have these tiny boxes that make noise and light up all the time. Everyone carries one."

Maris looked at her, perplexed. "Tiny boxes? What, like magic mirrors?"

Anne smirked, wiping her hands on her apron. "Kind of. We use them to talk to people, but we're not actually talking. We... type words, and they appear on the other person's tiny box."

Maris stared at her, wide-eyed. "You mean like sending letters instantly?"

"Exactly!" Anne said, nodding. "It's... faster. No horses involved."

Maris blinked a few times, clearly trying to wrap her head around the idea. "That's insane. So you're saying no one even talks to each other anymore? They just... type?"

Anne sighed, leaning back on her heels. "Well, people still talk, but yeah, a lot of conversations happen through those boxes. People sometimes just... forget to talk face to face."

"That sounds awful," Maris said, shaking her head. "No offense, Anne, but I like being able to see the person I'm talking to. Imagine sending a love letter and never knowing if they're smiling or frowning when they read it."

Anne laughed. "Trust me, I prefer actual conversations too."

Maris grinned. "See? That's why we're going to be good friends. You still have some sense in you."

Anne smiled, feeling lighter. As bizarre as this medieval world could be, there were things about it that were strangely refreshing—like the simplicity of sharing a joke or having a face-to-face conversation. In a way, Maris made her appreciate the slower pace, even if she did miss her phone and the convenience of a morning latte.

As they scrubbed away in comfortable silence, Maris spoke up again. "So... any boys in your faraway place?"

Anne nearly dropped her scrub brush. She cleared her throat, caught off guard by the question. "Uh, not really."

Maris looked surprised. "Really? I would've thought there'd be suitors lined up for you. You're smart, pretty, and you have this... mystery about you."

Anne chuckled nervously, brushing a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Yeah, well... where I'm from, things aren't so straightforward."

Maris nodded slowly, a knowing smile playing on her lips. "That's how it always is, isn't it? Boys making everything more complicated."

Anne laughed. "You have no idea."