Chapter 8: Silent Connections

The following days passed in a blur of routine tasks, yet Anne's mind was constantly elsewhere. Every evening, she returned to the statue in the garden, leaving bread or small pieces of food where she had last seen the boy. She waited patiently, never pushing him to speak or come closer, and each time, the bread disappeared.

She never saw him take it again, but she knew he was there, lurking just beyond her reach. The thought that he was watching her, even if from a distance, kept her going. She found herself looking forward to those quiet moments in the garden, even though they were filled with nothing but silence and a hint of hope.

One afternoon, as the sun dipped lower, casting long shadows across the courtyard, Anne found herself at the well, hauling up another heavy bucket of water. Her arms ached from the day's work, but she knew her shift wasn't over yet. There were still vegetables to peel, bread to bake, and pots to scrub before the night was through.

But despite the exhaustion creeping into her bones, Anne's thoughts lingered on the cursed boy. The cautious way he had looked at her, the way his hands had trembled as he took the bread. She couldn't stop wondering about him. Was he still living out in the wild? Did anyone else know he was here?

The head cook's sharp voice cut through her thoughts, pulling her back to the present.

"Carrot girl! Quit daydreaming and get that water to the kitchen. We've got a feast tonight, and I need all hands-on deck!"

"Right away," Anne called back, grabbing the heavy bucket and making her way across the courtyard. As she moved through the castle grounds, her eyes scanned the familiar places, looking for any sign of the boy. There was nothing. The garden was quiet, the statue still. It had been days since she'd last caught a glimpse of him.

The doubt crept in again, as it always did when too much time passed without a sign. Was she foolish for thinking she could help him? For believing she could somehow bridge the gap between them?

As the evening approached, Anne found herself once more at the garden statue, waiting. The bread was placed carefully on the stone base, just like always. The air was cooler now, the sky streaked with pinks and purples as the sun began to set. She wrapped her arms around herself, feeling the slight chill in the air, and settled down to wait.

Minutes turned into an hour, and Anne began to wonder if this time, he wouldn't come at all. Maybe she had scared him away. Maybe he had found a new place to hide, somewhere far from the castle.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a faint rustling sound. Her heart leaped in her chest, and she sat up straighter, her eyes scanning the shadows. There it was again—the soft sound of movement, like someone creeping closer.

Then, out of the corner of her eye, she saw him.

He stood just at the edge of the garden, half-hidden behind the bushes. His white hair glowed faintly in the twilight, and his piercing blue eyes were fixed on her with the same wary gaze as before. He didn't move closer, didn't approach the bread this time. He simply stood there, watching her, as if waiting for something.

Anne's heart raced. She didn't want to frighten him, but she couldn't just sit there in silence.

"It's okay," she said softly, keeping her voice low and gentle. "I'm not going to hurt you."

The nameless boy didn't respond. He stayed where he was, unmoving, his eyes never leaving hers.

"I know you're scared," Anne continued, her voice barely a whisper. "But you don't have to be. I just want to help."