Chapter 4: Where we're going.

Joanna and I stood near the cathedral door on a starry night when she said something I couldn't have ever predicted.

"I'm sorry Walt, for saying those things and storming out on you like that. It wasn't your fault. I can just get like that sometimes." She said non-hesitantly and sincerely.

I looked at her face for a moment, it looked at me with a glum look that pleaded, "Let's make everything all right?", which made me feel relieved. Surprised, but relieved.

"Never mind Joanna, its okay." I said nonchalantly, "You can forget it ever happened."

She smiled and said, "That's great! But you know, just to clear my conscience, I wanna make it up to you."

She paused as a gust of chilly nocturnal wind passed us by and made me shiver slightly. Then she continued, "I'm going into the forest tomorrow for a stroll and I want you to join me."

"The forest? Uh, I dunno Joanna, its....."

"Oh come on Walt! It'll be fun!" She said cutting me off.

I should've told her then and there that I was too much of a paranoid pansy, afraid to do......well, anything.
And I was just about to say no when she quickly pointed a finger at me and said sharply and quickly, "Don't say no. Fortune never smiles on those who say No."

I paused for a brief moment and I don't know why - maybe because I thought this would be my calling to be like Allan Quatermain or maybe I just wanted to be around Joanna or maybe because of my inner voice taunting me - but I agreed.

"Great! Meet me tomorrow at 6.30 am near the botanical garden." She chirped and trotted off on her way before I could say, "So early?!"

*********

It was 6:27 am and I was looking around searching for a wonderful smell that had captivated my attention since I'd arrived here at the botanical garden on the very south side of the monastery. Just two more days. The thought kept pricking my head every 4 seconds. It was a beautiful morning and the sun was slowly trying to climb up from the mountains, slowly shedding its warmth all over. I turned around slightly when suddenly a creature all green pounced at me shouting a loud, "Boo!!"

I jumped back in shock giving out a scared "Ah!!" before regaining my senses to realise that it was just Joanna in a green hoodie and camo shorts trying, no, succeeding at scaring me.

I looked at her for a moment with anger as she continued laughing heartily and after a moment, made me join in too.

"What was that?" I asked still astonished.

"What? I was just having normal fun. Don't look so fascinated."

"Well, its not normal where I come from, its childish." I said as we began our journey into the forest.

"Oh, I didn't realise you came from a graveyard. Sorry." she said mockingly.

"What? No. I don't... I mean....."

"Relax dude, it was a joke." She said.

Yeah, maybe I really did come from a graveyard.