Or What?

"So, what's your name"? The lady asked while she paced around the tent, tired and stressed. It was still a lot for Val to understand. This lady, after all the chaos, brought her in and fed her without a second thought?

"Hm? Oh uhm, Val". She said broken from her thoughts with a mouthful of food. Immediately she didn't think she was being polite enough and so she swallowed her food and attempted it again. "My name is Valerie, or Val".

"Valerie, what a pretty name. I'm Lori. How old are you Valerie"? She said turning to her, stopping her pacing to sit across her for a moment.

Val hadn't had someone call her Valerie in so long, it felt strange. Not just since the apocalypse but even before then. Everyone called her Val. Even foster parents and teachers, on account of her cursing them out otherwise. But when this woman said it, she felt it would be unbelievably rude to correct her.

"I'll be 16 in the fall" she said trying to eat politely, even though she had the strong urge to shovel it into her mouth like an animal. It had felt like ages since a good meal.

"Fifteen? You're younger than I thought. Why were ya out there all by yourself"? She questioned, to which Val had no idea what to say. It was a long story she didn't want to tell. She settled for a shrug and an awkward smile.

Lori sighed and gave her a remorseful look. "Well, none of that matters 'cause you're here now. It's been a hell of a long night and I'm sure you could use some rest, as well as any of us. We got an extra bed in the RV that belongs to a man named Dale. I'll speak to him about it and we'll get ya some rest Valerie. 'Kay"? She patted her on the shoulder and walked out of the tent to speak to the man named Dale.

Val definitely was tired but with her schedule of sleeping during the day, she didn't think she would be getting any rest-not that she would say that to Lori. Plus, she wasn't sure she fully trusted this group. She wouldn't normally have even eaten the food but she was very hungry and the woman didn't seem like she was about to take 'no' for an answer.

After about 10 minutes the lady, Lori, returned with a stack of clothes in her hand. "I got you something to sleep in and we can wash those clothes tomorrow" she said rubbing her forehead, setting the clothes down next to Val. "After you get changed you can come to the RV and find Dale. He's the old guy" she said with a wry smile, trying to lighten the mood a little.

"Thank you very much, I really appreciate it Lori" she said with a genuine smile.

After Lori left and she got changed into what she had given her-A large T-shirt that said "Boston" and some loose navy blue shorts. She had left the tent and looked around for the RV. She saw the blonde girl still crying. She saw children still being comforted by their parents. It was sad to see. Lori was with her son petting his hair lightly. She smiled over to her and pointed to the RV.

As she walked into the RV, she saw an old man sitting at a table with his head in his hand. He sat up as she walked in. "Hey, Valerie is it"? he asked, obviously still upset. Yet he still gave her a slight smile, like Lori did.

"Yes sir- Dale"? She asked offering a small smile back. She hated feeling like a burden to these people.

"Yes, I'm Dale. You can sleep over here, I set up the couch for you like a bed". He looked like he wanted to say more but he just looked stressed and tired.

"Thank you so much, I appreciate it more than you know" she said as she set down her backpack next to the couch.

He nodded and smiled as he walked out. She looked around the RV and sat down. She thought about the meal she ate and the bed she had and smiled. Now these simple things are so hard to come by and she was very grateful.