Forty one | T H E R A C E

— 18 months later | THE RACE TRACK

The sun blazed down on the makeshift racetrack, baking the dry sand. Today was a day for the racing tournament. The racers, fueled by a desire for victory, were about to put everything on the line. My eyes were glued on Rafe as they were revving their engines, his helmet strapped tightly, his eyes fixed on the starting line, exuding a confidence that he would win. Topper, meanwhile had his eyes locked on JJs bike as if sizing up the competition.

The Pogues – JJ and John B – stood watching Rafe and Topper at the ready, their faces set in determination to win as well.

This wasn't just any race; it was a showdown between the Kooks and the Pogues, a battle for bragging rights. I stood beside Sofia, while Tommy, bounced on the balls of his feet, eyes wide with excitement.

"Go Daddy, go Daddy!" Tommy chanted. "You got this!"

I smiled and I walked over to Rafe, Tommy clinging to my leg.

Rafe grinned, a flash of his usual cocky charm, before looking down at Tommy. "Are you ready to see Daddy kick some ass?"

Tommy, oblivious to the meaning of the curse word, smiled up at his father. "Kick their ass, Dad."

"Tommy!" I quickly covered his mouth, my cheeks flushing with embarrassment from the looks the bystanders gave us. "We don't say things like that."

Rafe chuckled, shaking his head. "He's got my spirit."

The moment was broken by a booming voice from the makeshift podium. "Alright, folks, let's get this show on the road!"

I stepped back to the crowd and waited for the moderators call, "Three... two... one... GO!"

The engines roared to life, and the bikes shot forward, kicking up dust clouds that swirled around us. "You got this, baby!" I yelled, as Rafe drove past me.

Sofia and Tommy joined in, cheering for Rafe. Tommy's tiny voice rang out above all the others, "Kick their ass Dad!"

I stood in front of Tommy, crouching down in front of him, my eyes fixed on his big blue eyes, "What did I say about saying that word?" I asked in a stern tone.

Tommy's grin faltered, and he looked down at his feet, "Sorry, Mama," he muttered.

I sighed, I didn't want to be the bad guy, but I had to teach Tommy right from wrong. "Do you want to go in timeout when we get home?" I asked, trying to sound serious.

Tommy's eyes snapped back up to mine, and he shook his head violently. "No, Mama, please!" he exclaimed, his little voice trembling.

I smiled, "Okay, baby no more cuss words. If you behave well at daycare today, then no timeout. But you have to promise me you'll be good, because I'm tired of getting phone calls from the teachers."

Tommy nodded his head vigorously, "I promise, Mama! I'll be good!"

I smiled, feeling proud of my little boy. "I know you will, sweetie. Now, let's focus on the race."

I turned back to the track, my eyes fixed on Rafe as he took the next turn. The bikes disappeared into the trail, the sound of their engines fading into the distance. Sofia and I were left standing there, the dust swirling around our legs.

"I can't believe Rafe is actually doing this," Sofia said, "This is crazy."

"He loves a challenge," I replied, "He's gonna win, I'm sure of it. He's a good rider."

We waited, a tense silence hanging between us. We watched as the bikers reappeared near the finish line. Rafe was in the lead as I expected, his bike cutting through the air like a knife through butter, but then JJ, took a daring jump over a small obstacle, landing right in front of Rafe.