1.

Anik pov.

I sat on the edge of my bed, staring at the bare walls of my room, feeling like a stranger in a house that was supposed to be my home. It had been two years since I moved in with Kavi and his brothers after my aunt passed away, but instead of feeling welcomed, I felt like a burden. My so-called brothers barely acknowledged my presence, their lives seemingly untouched by my arrival.

As I glanced at the clock, counting down the minutes until dinner, a familiar dread settled in my stomach. That time of day had become a reminder of my isolation. The table would be set, the maid would serve the food, and the brothers would engage in conversations filled with laughter and shared memories—memories I had no part in. I felt like an intruder, always on the periphery of their lives, just out of reach.

Now, as I prepared for another night of silence and avoidance, I felt abandoned, lost in a house filled with family.

Gathering my courage, I left my room. The hallway felt endless, each step an obstacle I had to confront. As I approached the dining room, the muffled sounds of their conversation drifted through the air. I hesitated at the door, peering inside. Kavi sat at the head of the table, flanked by Vivaan and Aarush, their faces illuminated by smiles as they shared an inside joke. I wished I could be a part of that world, but the chasm between us felt insurmountable.

Dinner began in uncomfortable silence. Kavi served the food, his movements efficient but devoid of warmth. I picked at my plate, forcing myself to eat while the brothers continued their conversation, deliberately excluding me.

I wanted to contribute, to be part of the discussion, but I held my tongue, fearing further rejection. My heart sank when I glanced at Vivaan, hoping for some semblance of connection, only to find him engrossed in his phone, a slight frown creasing his brow.

“Anik, I need good grades this time.” Kavi remarked suddenly.

My stomach twisted at the barb. “I will try,” I muttered.

“Trying isn’t good enough,” Vivaan chimed in, his tone sharp. 

I felt small and vulnerable, the walls closing in around me. The brothers continued to talk as if I were invisible, their words puncturing the already fragile bubble of hope I had built for myself. I wanted to shout, to make them see me, but the words stuck in my throat.

As we finished dinner, Kavi stood up, stretching his arms. “I’m going to watch some TV. You guys coming?”

Aarush and Vivaan nodded eagerly, leaving me alone at the table. I sat there for a moment, staring at the remnants of the meal, feeling utterly discarded. The emptiness of the house echoed my loneliness, amplifying the realization that I didn’t belong here.

When the brothers disappeared into the living room, I pushed my plate away and rose slowly. I made my way back to my room, my heart heavy with loneliness. As I lay on my bed, I thought of the family I had lost and the one that had replaced it. My mind raced with memories of my aunt’s warmth, a stark contrast to the coldness that surrounded me now. I was left haunted by the knowledge that I was just a ghost in a house where I didn’t belong.

Maybe I’ll never fit in, I thought, closing my eyes against the tears threatening to spill. The ache of being unwanted settled deep in my chest, a constant reminder that for Kavi, Vivaan, and Aarush, I would always be just an outsider, an unwelcome guest in a house filled with laughter and love I could never claim as my own.

__