。゚☆ THIRTY-EIGHT

Chapter Thirty-Eight
"Detention Well Served"

Chapter Thirty-Eight"Detention Well Served"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

DADA Classroom ━━ Fifth Year 1995

CASSIE'S FOOTSTEPS echoed through the empty corridor as she sprinted towards the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Her heart raced, partly from running and partly from the anxiety of being late to Umbridge's first class. She skidded to a halt at the door, took a deep breath to compose herself, and pushed it open.

The room fell silent as she entered, all eyes turning to her. Cassie felt her cheeks burn as she scanned the room for an empty seat. To her dismay, the only available spot was next to Draco Malfoy.

"Sorry I'm late," she mumbled, avoiding Umbridge's disapproving gaze as she made her way to the empty chair.

Malfoy didn't even look up as she sat down, his quill scratching against parchment. Cassie, determined to start the year on a better foot, turned to him with a forced smile.

"So, how was your summer?" she asked in a low voice.

Malfoy's quill paused for a moment. "Fine," he replied curtly, still not meeting her eyes. His tone made it clear that further conversation was unwelcome.

Before Cassie could decide whether to press on or give up, the classroom door burst open again. Harry stumbled in, looking disheveled and out of breath.

"Sorry, Professor..." he panted, his eyes darting around the room.

Professor Umbridge's lips curled into a sickly sweet smile that didn't reach her eyes. She said nothing though and resumed her lecture, her high-pitched voice grating on Cassie's nerves. "Now, as I was saying before Mr. and Miss Potter interrupted with their antics, your Defense Against the Dark Arts education has been rather fragmented and disjointed in your past classes, hasn't it?"

Cassie couldn't help but notice the way Umbridge spoke about their previous teachers. She felt a surge of loyalty towards Remus and the others who had taught them valuable skills.

As Umbridge continued, Cassie tried to focus on taking notes, but she found her attention wandering. She noticed Malfoy glancing at her occasionally from the corner of his eye, his expression unreadable.

The class grew increasingly tense as Hermione questioned Umbridge's teaching methods and the lack of practical spell work.

When Harry mentioned Voldemort, the atmosphere in the room changed dramatically. Cassie felt as if all the air had been sucked out. She could see the mixture of fear and defiance on her classmates' faces.

As Umbridge denied Voldemort's return and dismissed Cedric's death as an accident, Cassie felt a wave of grief and anger wash over her. A tear slipped down her cheek before she could stop it. She quickly wiped it away, but not before noticing Malfoy watching her. For a moment, his hand twitched as if he might reach out to her, but he seemed to think better of it and looked away.