Run-in With The Orient

The rest of the weekend was un-eventful, and when I arrived at school Monday morning it was still in the same sort of daze that had entered my head on Saturday. That's why, walking through the front doors that moment, I was not focused enough to avoid crashing into her.

"What the hell?"

A voice screeched out, as MY books went all over the stairs lining the entry. I scrambled on the ground to pick hem all up, apologising. As I looked up, I glimpsed Ella's shocked face before looking at my victim.

She was pretty, with some makeup lining her face. Glossy black hair framed her face, a perfectly strait fringe almost touching her eyes. Taking it all into account, it was a very Japanese look and I briefly wondered if she had roots in the Orient.

"And who, are you?" She inquired, narrowing her eyes.

"Rina Dashwood." I replied, looking her in pale green eyes. The shortening came easily to my lips, as I stood tall, refusing to back down. I would not be made into a sheep.

Since I'd argued with Ambrose a change had come upon me, such that even my mother had noticed. I was less submissive and shy; like I still carried that pure rage within myself, and it leaked out in different ways.

Seeing my aggressive stance, a small smile came to her face.

"Ava Reynolds."

She shot back, sticking a hand out. Her change in attitude puzzled me, yet I cautiously put my hand into hers. It struck me as a very masculine thing to do, shaking a hand.

As our hands dropped, she turned, shining hair swishing from stride to side as she continued up the steps.

The whole event had taken only a few moments at most, yet it felt a lot longer at the time.

"Rina!Rina!" Ella screamed, even when she was right next to me. "I thought you were DEAD. What were you thinking? Walking into Reynolds. The oldest mistake in the book." She muttered the last part, shaking her head as though I had disappointed her."It's not the right time of year for a funeral, you know."

"Don't be ridiculous." I smiled, almost laughing at her grief.

"And I'll have to wear black for months! Sad does not look good on me Rina, and I swear, if you're the cause of it I'll dig you up and kill you again."

She continued, as though I hadn't spoken.

Taking a page out of Ambrose's book, I hugged her quickly to shut her up, before backing away.

"Really, I'm touched at your concern! But if I don't leave now, I'll be late!" I yelled.

At this, she burst out laughing, before running after me.

*

"Rina. Rinnnnnaaaa." She whispered.

I moved slightly, adjusting my position without opening my eyes. I'd been dreaming, and thought that if I could just keep my eyes closed, I could rejoin that cloudy utopia. I really wanted to know what happened next...

Suddenly there was a sharp poke between my shoulder blades. I shot upright, convinced for a second in my drowsy state that it was the second coming of the Nazis.

Ella, who had been leaning towards we from behind, balancing precariously on two legs of her chair, fell crashing to the ground, chair and all. The whole class looked on in astonishment, even the teacher gaping, as Ella's head met the thinly clothed concrete.

She was still for a second, before wincing, "Ow."

I rushed towards her, trying to hold in my laughter.