IV

Warren wakes up abruptly, his senses returning like a blow. He feels his body heavy, his muscles tense, but nothing more important than the emptiness in his back. The white, unfamiliar ceiling and the too-soft bed disorient him momentarily, but he soon realizes that he is in some kind of hospital.

When he tries to move his arms, an intense pain runs through his body, and he grits his teeth, forcing himself not to show weakness. He turns his head and sees Hank McCoy beside him, a serious expression.

"You're in the X-Mansion," Hank says calmly. "You're safe now."

Warren stares at him, feeling the tension in every fiber of his body. Hank's words do not reassure him. He tries to move his wings, but feels nothing. A void where there should be strength, power. His eyes narrow, and he tries to turn around, ignoring the pain.

"My wings..." he murmurs, his voice deep and controlled, but full of indignation. Hank doesn't look away.

"They were destroyed. We had to remove them to save your life."

For a moment, the silence weighs heavily on the room. Warren absorbs the information, his jaw clenched. But instead of panic or despair, it’s anger that emerges. He turns to Hank, his eyes narrowed and his voice full of venom.

"So what am I now? One of them? A weakling?" He grimaces, feeling the contempt rise to the surface. Warren didn’t regret what he had done alongside Apocalypse. That was the path he had chosen, and there was no regret in his chest. He embraced the power that had been given to him, and now, it’s all been taken away.

"You’re not weak, Warren" Hank answers firmly. "You survived. We did what was necessary to ensure that. Apocalypse used you, but you can still rise again."

Warren narrows his eyes.

"I wasn’t used. I did what was necessary. I fought for what I believed in at that moment." The conviction in his voice was clear. He didn't see himself as a victim, much less as someone who regretted his actions. He had fought for his own survival, for his vision of power.

Hank observes the conflict in Warren's eyes. He knows that anger is part of the process, but he also knows that the mutant in front of him is not someone who would easily bend to the idea of vulnerability.

"I know you're strong, Warren," Hank continues, keeping his tone calm but firm. "And what happened doesn't have to define your future. Professor Xavier believes you can do something different, if you choose."

Warren just stares at him, a glint of defiance in his eyes. He hadn't decided what he would do next, but one thing was certain: he would not be a victim. Whether with or without wings, he would find a way to stay strong.

The bedroom door opens, revealing Scott Summers. He walks in with firm steps, his ruby-quartz glasses reflecting the light in the room. There is a palpable tension in the air as he approaches Warren's bed.

"You should be grateful, Warren" Scott says bluntly. His voice is cold but practical. "We saved you. If it weren't for us, you'd be dead. Especially Kurt." He crosses his arms, the mention of the name hanging heavy in the air.

Warren feels an instant surge of anger at the mention of Kurt. A bitter memory invades his mind: the fight in the ring, the moment his first wings were destroyed by Kurt. Hatred mixes with frustration, and his expression turns to contempt. Kurt was there when everything fell apart, and Warren can't separate that memory from the resentment he feels.