Genetics 101 (BEGINNERS)

What is Horse Genetics?

Every horse is born with a genetic code that decides what they look like, this code is made up of genes! These genes come in pairs—one from the mom and one from the dad—and they determine things like coat color, markings, and even if the horse will turn gray as it gets older.

Imagine these genes are like switches. Some switches are turned on (dominant genes), and some are turned off (recessive genes). When we mix these switches together, we get all the cool and different horse colors and patterns we see!

Dominant vs. Recessive Alleles:

Dominant alleles: Only one copy of the allele is needed to express the trait. It's represented by an uppercase letter (e.g., E for black pigment).Recessive alleles: Two copies are needed to express the trait. It's represented by a lowercase letter (e.g., e for red/chestnut).

The Basic Colors:

There are two basic colors in horse genes which are are black and red (chestnut). All the other colors you see are just different combinations of these two colors plus a bunch of special effects, like shading and sparkles. ✨

Black (E) – This is the gene that gives horses black hair. If the horse has at least one copy of the "black gene," it will have some black hairs—like a black mane and tail or even a whole black body.Red/Chestnut (e) – This is the gene that gives horses a reddish-brown or coppery color. If a horse has two copies of this "red gene," it will be all red with no black at all.

Agouti: The Black Manager Gene!

Now, let's add a little twist. There's a gene called Agouti (A), and it's like a manager for black color. 

🔑 Key to Remember:

A = Black only on the mane, tail, and legs (Bay horse).a = Black can be everywhere (Solid black horse).

If your curious: base color combinations:

EE/AA: Bay horse (black pigment restricted to the points).EE/aa: Black horse (solid black, no restriction).ee (regardless of A or a): Chestnut horse (red-based).

The Gray Gene (G): The Trickster! 🎩

Finally, the Gray (G) gene is like a magical trick. A horse with this gene is born a normal color, like black or bay, but as it ages, it slowly turns gray and eventually white. It's like watching a magic trick happen over time!

🔑 Key to Remember:

G = The horse will turn gray with age.

Now, I know this can seem hard to remember, so after reading all this take a big nap so that your brain can transfer short term memory to long term then you can read the next chapter.