👑Chapter Fourty-seven👑

It had been three days since Henrik had left, and Annie was staying at the Clifford Estate, working with the Marchioness with low spirits, preparing for the event. She did not see Felix's face then; however, he was busy addressing the backlog in the citadel before heading off on his mission.

"Juliet is still combing for the capital"

As she faced Annie, the Marchioness, she delicately melted wax, scattering dried rose petals over the drops before pressing the stamp. Her gaze fell on Annie's slow hand as she performed a small task: ticking off the names of the nobles on the list whose invitations had been prepared.

As her eyes scanned Annie, she began, "You've been sighing for a while. Do you find this task boring?"

Annie flinched, laughing nervously she answered, "Not at all....It's just something stuck in my mind." She continued the task with a focused demeanour, trying to appear normal in her eyes.

"I've noticed you've been taciturn for the past three days, particularly since you visited Felix. Did he say or do something that annoyed you?"The Marchioness asked, concerned about her well-being.

"No..." Annie quickly denied the suggestion with a wave of her hand. "It's just I'm nervous for my first appearance in a noble society..." She tried to deflect the inquiry, feeling slightly cornered under the Marchioness' keen observation of her behaviour.

The marchioness placed her hand on Annie's and reassured, " There is no need to overthink it; this year's event will be a masquerade; all guests are required to disguise and wear masks. Also, they are not allowed to expose their identities."

With a playful wink, she added, "Think of it as an opportunity to delve into the world of nobility."

Annie's face lit up with a bright smile as her spirits soared high.

Marchioness Sophia clapped her hands once, stood up from her seat, and declared that the work was complete. They got inside a carriage heading to the city centre, where the luxurious clothing shops for noble ladies awaited.

As the carriage glided over the cobblestone streets, Annie peered out the window, captivated by the lively rhythm of city life. Young ladies strolled by, their lacy umbrellas and frilled dresses billowing gracefully, while their servants trailed behind, carefully balancing boxes filled with their latest purchases.

The marchioness rested her cheek thoughtfully on her palm and remarked on the scene, "They seem eager to present themselves in all their charming grandeur."

The boutique they visited had a mint green door and a flower pot on each side. As they entered, the bell rang, and the workers dropped whatever they were holding and rushed directly to Sophia, the Marchioness.

As the worker led them upstairs, Annie glanced back down the hall in astonishment at the stunning collections displayed for the ladies. The first floor featured a narrow corridor lined with doors on both sides; most of the rooms were for personal use. To the right was an exclusive closet showcasing unique attires worn only by the highest nobles, while the opposite side opened into Catherine Maxwell's study, the boutique's owner. Next to the study was a design room brimming with shelves of fabrics, ribbons, and threads. Besides, a large table sat in the centre for cutting fabric and designing pieces.

"I anticipated seeing someone older, at least in their thirties, instead she is my age. Her dark chocolate wavy hair is pulled back into a ponytail adorned with a lace ribbon, and her bangs are draped like curtains, partially concealing her facial features. However, I can still see her almond-shaped purple eyes are intently focused on sketching designs."

As Catherin approached the shelves to search for the right fabric, her agile body dressed in cinnamon brown moved gracefully with deliberate motions, reminiscent of a dance.

With a pleasant and clear voice, Catherine greeted them smiling politely," I'm more than delighted for your visit, your Ladyship!"

Before responding warmly, the Marchioness giggled shortly."Oh, Miss Catherine! How lovely to see you as always."

Her eyes scanned the clothes rail with a hint of admiration before presenting Annie, who was stunned by the surroundings like a child. "This is my relative, Annie. She's the girl I asked you to design a gown for. I hope you've finished it by now, although I see you are flooded with work."

Catherine's gaze shifted to Annie, a smile curling at the corners of her lips as she imagined her wearing the design she had been working on. She approached Annie, placing a hand over her heart, and with a slight bow, addressed her, Miss Annie, I'm Catherine of Maxwell the daughter of Count Vincent of Maxwell. It's my honour to create a gown for the Marchioness's relative."

Annie flinched, captivated by Catherine's elegant manners and poise. And forgot for a moment to greet her back, "Nice to meet you!" Her voice was nervous, "The honour is mine,"

The Marchioness interjected, explaining to Annie, "It's a small gift for your hard work from one of my favourite boutiques. Although Miss Catherine is a young lady, she manages this business with grace, competing against renowned dressmakers and establishing her name with her extraordinary pieces of art."

Catherine nodded appreciatively at the praise, her modest grin conveying her gratitude."Thank you, your Ladyship. I am truly humbled by your kind words and feel privileged to have your support and loyalty throughout these years."

Catherine gestured for Annie and the Marchioness to follow her deeper into the boutique, toward a private fitting room. Inside, she drew back the curtain to reveal a gown displayed on a wooden mannequin.

She stepped back to stand beside the Marchioness, ensuring she had the best view of the dress.

The Marchioness's eyes winded approvingly. "Catherine, you've outdone yourself."

Catherine beamed at the compliment. "Thank you, your Ladyship. I considered your remarks; I thought this would suit Miss Annie's delicate features while allowing her to make an impression at her first noble gathering."

Annie walked directly to the mannequin, her hand grasping the skirt as she brushed her thumb over the fabric, savouring its texture.

"It's beautiful," she whispered, unable to hide her awe.

Catherine then gestured to the fitting room. "Shall we see how it looks on you?"

The Marchioness turned to see one of her attendants rush in, slightly out of breath. "Your Ladyship, there's been a situation at the palace," the attendant announced, her voice hurried. "The floral arrangements for tomorrow's event have been entirely misplaced, and they need your immediate attention."

The Marchioness frowned slightly. "How inconvenient," she muttered before turning to Catherine. "I'm terribly sorry, I'll leave Annie in your hands."

Annie pushed the curtains, her head popping up from the fitting room, "What's wrong?"

Now focused on arranging sketches at her desk, Catherine offered a polite yet distant smile. "The Marchioness has numerous responsibilities, and I'm unsure when she'll be back. For now, let's not waste any time and see if the gown needs any adjustments."

Annie noticed that Catherine's tone had lost the warmth she had shown earlier; it was now more formal and superficial as if she were drawing a line between herself and Annie.

"Is everything alright?" Annie asked tentatively, unsure of how to navigate Catherine's sudden shift in demeanour.

Her eyebrows lowered oddly as if Annie's question were out of place. "Everything is fine," Catherine replied smoothly, her voice distant as she retrieved a measuring tape from her drawer.

She gestured toward a round platform for measurements, avoiding further eye contact. "Now, please, straighten your back"

Catherine delicately wrapped the tape around Annie's waist, her eyes calculating the distance carefully. Without further words, she focused intently on her task, measuring Annie's arms and other body parts.

"The hem is slightly long; we'll need to adjust it," she murmured.

Annie shifted awkwardly, watching Catherine while writing down some notes. "The Marchioness really liked it," She commented, willing to engage in a friendly conversation.

"Her Ladyship is always appreciative of quality work," Catherine replied, her voice devoid of the usual spark. "I simply aim to meet her expectations."

As Catherine stepped aside to grab a few pins, Annie hesitated. "You seem..." She faltered for a moment before continuing, "... different from earlier. Did I say something wrong?" Her voice was soft, laced with uncertainty as she wondered if she was overstepping.

Catherine paused, her fingers tightening slightly around the pin cushion. She turned, her expression carefully neutral. "Not at all, Miss Annie," she replied smoothly. "I simply prefer to focus on my work. The Marchioness is one of my important clients, and I don't seek to disappoint her."

⟪After finalising the details, we agreed that Catherine would personally deliver the dress to me on the morning of the event. I glanced out the window and spotted a wagon waiting for me, and excitement surged through me. I rushed down the stairs, skipping steps as if someone were chasing me, eager to leave.⟫

She rested her head against the window, staring at the people distractedly thinking of Catherine's sudden shift.

"Being a young businesswoman is not easy. She faces immense pressure to prove herself in a society restricted by social norms that privilege men. The way she was treating me seemed more personal as if I were an intruder. I admit I am an intruder, though the king and his sister are doing their best to fit into this life."