👑 Chapter Forty-six👑

Henrik grabbed her hand placed it between his palms and began," Annie I think you are aware that Felix hasn't visited you as usual "

Annie nodded, her breath quickening as she waited for the next part. She opened her mouth first, "Don't tell me something bad has happened to him"

He shook his head in refusal and continued, "Without any doubt, you are familiar with Belonia kingdom which we share our eastern-southern borders"

Annie did not understand why he brought Belonia kingdom to their conversation about Felix, but she nodded drawing the map in her head.

Henrik added," It's a mountainous area known to be popular with bandits which raises serious concerns about the safety of the villages located there...The king appointed Felix as our soldiers' leader to oversee the region's cleanup."

After hearing the news, she slid her hand and clasped it tightly with the other over her lap."I felt that coming. I shouldn't be surprised, but my hands are trembling."

Placing his hand gently on her shoulder, he said, "Annie," his voice was steady and comforting as he understood her fears. "This mission is nothing compared to what Felix has faced before. There's no need to worry."

"Did he leave without a farewell," Annie murmured in disappointment.

Henrik explained, "He asked me to share this with you because he's tired of delivering bad news. He's frustrated by the abrupt decision, as parting with his loved ones is difficult. To clear his mind, he continues to train in the citadel bailey."

" When will he leave the capital," She asked after biting her lower lip.

"After the Krutobia Establishment Event," Henrik responded.

" Felix is not the only person who will leave the capital," he admitted

Her lips quivered a little. "I don't dare to ask because I know who the second is."

She asked sure he was leaving, "When will you leave?"

Henrik hesitated for a moment, then spoke softly, "Tomorrow at dawn," his voice barely above a whisper. Annie felt her breath catch in her throat. "The king has assigned me an important mission. I need to visit the kingdom islands, the nobles' estates, to assess the situation there."

Trying to process the news, she repeated, "Tomorrow at dawn... And just... for how long?"

"One year," he responded with a sad smile.

Annie wanted to protest against the king's sudden decision, which, in her view, was nothing more than an attempt to separate her from them, forcing her to focus on her duties as a future princess.

She wanted to curse him and revile him until she felt better, but she remembered the promise she had made to herself: to keep Felix and Henrik out of her problems so they wouldn't get involved any further.

Annie clenched her fists, willing to hold back her frustration and anger. She controlled her emotions perfectly and kept her voice steady. "One year... I think I will miss you so much."

Through the tears that filled her eyes and made their lapis lazuli blue colour sparkle, and the way she was forcing her cheek muscles to smile, he knew she was hiding her true emotions under the mask.

Without any further hesitation, Henrik placed a hand on Annie's arm, pulling her towards him and gently enveloping her in a tight embrace.

"It's okay," he murmured softly, his voice filled with compassion and concern. "You don't have to put on a brave face before me. Just let it out."

"I don't know what reason I cry for. Am I hesitating due to my own weakness and feelings of inadequacy, or is it because this might be my last chance to accomplish my goal without him knowing, robbing me of the opportunity to share my victory and feel his hand patting my head?"

⟪ I hopped into a carriage without a second thought. It wasn't until I found myself standing before the large wooden door of the citadel that I realised how I had gotten there. ⟫

A thick veil of heavy, grey clouds gathered in the sky above the capital, casting a gloomy shadow over the training yard. As Felix lay sprawled on the ground, the fatigue from hours of relentless practice was all written on his face. He had been swinging his wooden sword, repeatedly striking the straw dummy in a determined effort to hone his skills. Just then, a few raindrops landed softly on his nose.

He closed his eyes, feeling the gentle drops tickle his skin. When he opened them again, he saw a familiar face close to his, gazing at him with a warm smile.