Scene 1: Amanda's Inner Turmoil and the Blake Family's Unraveling

The chapter begins with Amanda contemplating the concept of second chances. She reflects on how people often change after being given another shot at life, wondering if these transformations are genuine or merely a facade to fit back into society. Unlike others, Amanda doesn't find solace in change; instead, she's driven by a paralyzing fear of losing her luxurious lifestyle. This fear is so intense that she's willing to kill to protect it. These thoughts weigh heavily on her as she approaches her parents' house, where tension hangs in the air. Amanda's mother, Jennifer, and brother, Ethan, have been alerted by Joy about the imminent danger, and the atmosphere is thick with unease.

Ethan paces nervously, while their father, Jeff, sits in silence, his usual demeanor shattered by fear. For the first time, Amanda sees her father's vulnerability, a sight that leaves her feeling defeated and uncertain. In the midst of this tense gathering, Jeff breaks his silence and begins to confess the dark secrets of his past. He recounts his involvement with Joy, revealing a lifetime of guilt that has haunted him and shaped the family's current predicament. The confession is raw and emotional, leaving the family in stunned silence as they grapple with the weight of Jeff's revelations.

First, Jeff confessed to killing Amanda's grandfather, but he blamed Joy for his deeds. Second, he admitted to grooming Ethan into the monster he is now. When Ethan was young, Jeff used to go with him to The NightClub—the Night Club Underground, which used to be a session for bringing minors for older men like Jeff. Even for this, Jeff blamed Joy and said that it was Joy's idea to get minors in the Underground for adultery entertainment. Jeff said that Joy forced him to bring Ethan to groom him for the drug dealing business at a younger age. Jeff apologized to his family and reassured them that he would get rid of Joy for good and dedicate his life to protecting them from people like Joy.