Chapter 1: The First Week

Jerome had been looking for a new place to stay, somewhere closer to work. After weeks of searching, he finally found something that caught his eye—a post about a male bed spacer at Imperial Street in Cubao. Intrigued, he immediately contacted the landlady, Ms. Charlie, and they arranged a meeting to discuss the details.

The building was old but had its charm, tucked away from the main road but still within walking distance to the hustle of the city. Ms. Charlie, a stern but kind woman, explained that the monthly rent was affordable, and after discussing the details, Jerome agreed. She handed him an access card, which was required to enter the building.

Once inside, Jerome observed the place. It had a wide, open common area. There was a sink where tenants could wash their dishes, and a spot for doing laundry. A walkway led to three doors, each belonging to separate rooms. Outside one of the rooms was a television setup with a small table and chair nearby, probably a shared space for tenants to hang out. Jerome noted that the first room already had occupants, while the second door was closed.

Ms. Charlie led Jerome to the third room at the far end of the walkway, directly facing the common television area but offering a bit more privacy due to its distance. Inside, Jerome noticed four double-decker beds—eight occupants in total, one on each corner. Ms. Charlie pointed out his bed, the top bunk on the right side, near the window. It wasn't spacious, but it would do.

They left the room and continued exploring. At the far end of the corridor, they turned right again and walked past the restroom area, where the CR and shower rooms were lined up. As Jerome surveyed the layout, he realized it was a large shared space, and there were more rooms on the other side of the building.

After thanking Ms. Charlie and saying goodbye, Jerome left to gather his belongings. By late afternoon, he was back, carrying his bags and preparing to settle in. As he walked into his new room, he met two of his roommates—Joe and Sam.

Joe was a moreno, chubby guy with a friendly smile, quick to greet Jerome and make him feel at home. Sam, on the other hand, was taller, a bit mestizo, with a quiet demeanor but a polite nod in greeting. They chatted for a while, Jerome asking about the neighborhood and getting tips on nearby food stalls and convenient stores.

As the day turned into night, Jerome unpacked his things and lay down on his new bed, taking in the faint sounds of the television and the muted conversations of his new roommates. The room felt foreign, but a part of him was excited about this new chapter, this new space where he could focus on work and maybe discover more about himself.

The first week had begun.