Chapter-13

Ava stood at the entrance of the dining room, her heart racing as she took in the sight of Elias. He looked up, his expression a mixture of surprise and admiration, but then—silence. The moment stretched uncomfortably as she searched his face for any hint of what he was thinking. But Elias said nothing, his gaze lingering on her for a moment too long before he returned to his meal.

What is he thinking? The thought spun in her mind as she forced herself to smile at the other guests, feeling a twinge of disappointment that gnawed at her confidence. What if he thought she looked like a slut? The black dress, so bold and confident in her mirror, now felt like a weight around her neck. She felt dull, invisible.

Each glance he cast in her direction felt heavy with meaning, yet he never spoke a word. His silence wrapped around her, making her feel even more self-conscious. What if he's regretting inviting me here? The doubt settled in her stomach like a stone, churning alongside her earlier excitement.

After what felt like an eternity, the dinner wrapped up, and guests began to drift away. Ava's heart sank further when she caught Elias looking at her one last time before turning his back and heading out. She wanted to scream, to ask him why he hadn't said anything, but the words stuck in her throat. Instead, she stood there, feeling a cloud of disappointment and confusion wash over her.

"I think I need to talk to him," she finally murmured to herself, the words igniting a spark of determination in her. Ava turned on her heel, deciding to seek him out. If he won't come to me, I'll go to him.

With each step toward his room, her heart raced faster, the anticipation mixing with anxiety. The hallway was dimly lit, casting soft shadows that danced along the walls. She could feel the familiar plush carpet beneath her feet, the silence of the mansion amplifying her thoughts. What if he really doesn't like me? What if I just embarrassed myself in front of everyone?

Finally, she stood before his door, her hand poised to knock. She hesitated, her heart pounding like a drum in her chest. What if he doesn't want to see me? But then, with a deep breath, she rapped her knuckles lightly against the wood.

Two long minutes passed in agonizing silence before she heard the soft sound of footsteps approaching. The door swung open, and there he stood—Elias, dressed only in a loose-fitting towel that hung low on his hips.

Ava's breath caught in her throat, her cheeks flushing with heat as she took in the sight before her. The towel accentuated the defined muscles of his chest and shoulders, water droplets clinging to his skin, glistening under the soft light. His hair was damp and tousled, framing his face perfectly. She had never seen anyone like this before, and it left her speechless, her heart racing as embarrassment washed over her.

"What's wrong?" he asked, concern knitting his brows together. His voice was deep, sending a shiver down her spine, but all she could manage was a weak, flustered smile.

"I... I wanted to talk to you," she stammered, her heart pounding louder than ever. The closeness between them felt electric, the air thick with unspoken tension.

"Come in," he said, stepping aside, and she entered his room, her nerves threatening to overwhelm her. The room was dimly lit, the walls adorned with posters of distant places and memories. It felt intimate, like stepping into a secret world.

As she turned to face him, her heart raced with both fear and excitement. She could feel the heat radiating from him, and the urge to close the distance was overwhelming. But her courage faltered, and words caught in her throat. Instead of talking, she felt an inexplicable pull toward him, her heart guiding her more than her mind.

In a moment of impulsive bravery, she took a step forward, feeling the heat of his body drawing her in. She leaned in, brushing her lips against his, a soft tentative kiss that quickly deepened as she felt him respond, his hands gently cradling her face.

But panic gripped her. What if I mess this up? She had never kissed anyone before, and the thought of fumbling through this moment terrified her. She was scared she might look foolish, unsure of how to move or what to do. As he kissed her back, she tried to follow his lead, but every instinct within her screamed for caution.

After a brief moment, he pulled back, his brow furrowed with something that looked like frustration or confusion. "Ava..."

The way he said her name made her heart drop. "What's wrong?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper, her anxiety swelling.

"I... you shouldn't have done that," he said, a note of regret lacing his tone. "We can't... this isn't right."

Tears stung her eyes as his words crashed over her, leaving her feeling raw and exposed. "I thought—" she started, but her voice faltered as the emotions welled up inside her.

"Ava, please," he said, stepping back, the distance between them feeling like an ocean. "I need you to leave."

Her heart shattered at his words, and the tears she had been holding back spilled over, rolling down her cheeks as she turned and fled from the room. The world around her blurred, her vision clouded by the sudden rush of heartbreak.

As she shut the door behind her, the reality of what had just happened crashed over her like a tidal wave. She felt hollow, crushed by a weight of sadness and embarrassment. How could I have misread everything?

With heavy steps, she made her way back to her own room, her heart aching with each beat. Once inside, she collapsed onto her bed, the sobs wracking her body as she cried for the lost moments, the unspoken feelings, and the painful reality that echoed in her mind.

Why did I think I could change anything? The tears flowed freely, each one a release of the turmoil she had been holding inside, leaving her feeling utterly broken as the chapter of her heart closed in silence.