06: It is not love?

Time passes, and the flowers wither in the face of the intensifying cold. The vibrant and soft colors lose their intensity, fading away before the imminent autumn that brings with it ochre tones adorning the trees. This marked the time Rosellina had spent at the mansion; a week had gone by, and as she formed strong bonds with those first people she connected with, her relationship with that cold and harsh man seemed to remain frozen in time without remedy. Was it her constant desire to make others happy that prevented her from accepting the situation with the man whose long life had been marked by misfortune?

"Do you often think about Logan?"

Rosellina's eyes widened, feeling her cheeks flush at Charles' words. She quickly let out a small laugh, shaking her head to ease the nervousness in her body.

"Please, don't take it the wrong way," she said in a low tone, looking at the man before her.

"I'm not; I'm just curious," Charles replied, sharing her laugh with a paternal smile as he watched her. "What bothers you?"

Rosellina looked at him. Did that situation really bother her? Was that the right way to describe it?

"I just don't want to be a bother." Her confession was accompanied by a faint smile. "I don't want to cause trouble for anyone."

Charles observed her, delving beyond her words. He didn't sense a yearning to be loved, at least he had never seen any indication of that. In fact, Rosellina even seemed to accept mistreatment. There was a need within her to bring happiness to everyone.

"Logan is a man with a long path of pain behind him, forged through the harshest trials life can throw at someone; he is a person completely different from you." Charles spoke, glancing briefly out the window. "His old heart, beneath that red shell, doesn't respond well to attitudes like yours. It could be... like an illusion."

The Italian listened attentively, intrigued by his words.

"I don't understand," she confessed, a bit confused.

Charles shook his head, maintaining his smile.

"My dear child, many questions are only answered with time." Charles gently caressed her with his words, acknowledging her innocence. "Soon you'll see that some things just resolve themselves."

Rosellina closed her eyes when she felt Charles' hand pat her head affectionately, like a child. She felt a hollow sensation in her stomach, a butterfly fluttering intensely, and her heart leaping. She looked up at him, seeing his affectionate smile directed at her. She didn't fully understand what he meant, but that attitude made her feel as if there was nothing to worry about, as if all the bad things disappeared.

"Now, even though you're a teacher, you're still my student. Time to continue. How about it, Rosa?" he said, moving his chair back to take up the position they both held before.

"Of course, Professor," Rosellina replied, her spirits restored.

"Your mutation is very connected to the mind, though of course, it's not the same as telepathy. It has its limits," he explained, opening his notebook again on his lap and preparing the pen, reviewing his notes. "For now, you manage to create a very realistic reality, though its duration could be improved; for now, it's short, depending on how much you need to create for the other person." He continued, looking over the results of previous sessions. "Moreover, I maintain that if we keep up the exercises, you could see memories, though it would require more prolonged visual contact—it would be your bridge."