Snowstorm

The sloth shuffled his clumsy feet through the underbrush, his breath fogging the frigid air. His eyes were wide with excitement, as he held a collection of large, juicy berries and leaves in his arms. The temperature had dropped quite a bit already and flakes of snow had started falling, but there was still time to get back before the storm intensified. It didn't take long before he finally arrived back at the den where Diego sat and chewed on the rib of an antelope from an earlier hunt, waiting for Sid's return.

Sid dropped his food stash next to his collection of sticks and fire rocks he had picked up just previously and now they were prepared to settle in as the snowstorm approached. He gathered the sticks into a pile before taking the two stones and striking them together, sending sparks flying out onto the wood pile. "There we go.." Sid muttered to himself. A small plume of smoke began to rise up into the air and Sid waved a paw around to ignite a small flame. Diego sat close by and watched, astonished as always by the way the sloth can quickly light a campfire with ease.

Sid sat back, satisfied with his work despite doing it many times and just stared into the red flames before turning to the den entrance. The two sat in silence for a moment, watching as the snowflakes grew larger and the sky became darker. But as Diego knew, the silence never lasted long whenever Sid was around, and as usual, he broke the silence first.

"Diego," he began, his voice tentative as he turned his head to the jaded sabertooth, "have you ever thought about what it would be like to have a family?" He said before looking back to the snow and watched as it grew denser outside. Diego looked up from his spot by the fire, curiosity flickering in his green-gold eyes.

He paused for a moment, his paw on the piece of antelope rib he had been gnawing on. He swallowed and placed the bone aside. "A family, huh?" His voice was gruff, but there was something softer underlying it. He had never allowed himself to dream such a thing, not after the life he had lived. "What makes you ask that?" He asked, tilting his head. Sid shrugged, "Just thinking I guess." When it came to situations such as hiding from bad weather, he easily got bored and it caused his mind to often wander through deep thoughts that he normally wouldn't bring up on any other random occasion.

Sid shuffled his paws. "Remember that time you left?" He didn't look at Diego as he spoke, but continued to stare outside. "I found those three eggs in the ice which turned out to be T-Rexes. For a moment, I thought, 'What if these little guys were mine? What if I could keep them safe?' But you know how that ended." He gave a small laugh at the last part.

The snowstorm outside was now in full swing, the wind growing stronger and the snow slowly piling up against the den's entrance. The warmth inside was a stark contrast to the growing chill outside. Diego's eyes narrowed slightly, his tail flicking as he thought back to that time. "Yeah, I remember," he said quietly. "You had your hands full, but you didn't give up on them..." His smile then grew into a slightly humorous one before adding, "...Even if it meant you'd be taken away by their real mother, and us having to come down and get your behind back home," he gently teased, though in his mind, he knew that it was partially his fault, but he kept his voice gentle yet stoic in hopes of hiding his feelings of guilt and regret for his past choices.

Sid smiled a little at his teasing and continued, "Anyway, I kinda missed that feeling, y'know? They looked up to me, relied on me... it felt like I could be someone important." He took a deep breath, the scent of the burning firewood and their impending snowstorm mingling in the air. "I just felt like we'd be a great team if we ever had a family to look after."

Diego studied Sid, the sloth's innocence and earnestness never failing to touch him. He knew the sloth had a heart that could melt even the iciest of glaciers. "Sid," he said gently, "that's because you are important." He paused, letting the words hang in the air for a moment before continuing. "But the life of a family, with little ones to look after... it's not something we can have." Sid's eyes searched Diego's looking for a glimmer of hope or perhaps a shared yearning.

Sid turned his head back to Diego, a soft, hopeful smile on his face. "I know that. But I just wonder if you've ever thought about it. If you've ever imagined what it could be like." Diego's gaze softened, and he nodded slowly. "I have," he admitted. "But it was always just that — a thought. Something that didn't fit into the life I knew. A saber with a family... it's not exactly the picture that comes to mind, right?" Sid scooted closer, placing a comforting paw on Diego's shoulder. "But we're not just any saber and a sloth. We're a family of our own kind. You, me, the rest of the herd."

Diego couldn't argue with that. They had found something special together, something that went beyond the typical bounds of their species. They had become a chosen family, bound by friendship and shared experiences rather than blood. "True," he said, "but it's not the same as having your own young ones to watch grow up."
The snowfall outside grew heavier, the wind picking up as the storm rolled in. The sound of the wind whipping through the trees grew louder, but Sid and Diego felt a sense of piece in their sanctuary.

Sid nodded thoughtfully. "I get it," he said softly, his grip tightening slightly on Diego's shoulder. "But I've seen the way you look at kids, especially Peaches. There's something there, Diego. Something paternal." The saber couldn't deny it. He had grown quite fond of looking after Peaches every now and then, and the idea of being a parental figure had crossed his mind more than once. He chuckled, a sound that was as warm and comforting as the fire that burned in front of them. "I guess I have a soft spot... maybe..." He added the last bit with a hint of embarrassment. He was still stubborn to admit being a softie despite everyone already agreeing a while ago that he was. "...But that doesn't mean I know the first thing about raising a family."

Sid's eyes sparkled with excitement. "But think about it, Diego! We've got each other, and we've got our friends. We could totally make it work. Besides, you know how much I love kids." Diego sighed, his gaze returning to the fire. He knew Sid wasn't just referring to the practicalities. They were two animals from different worlds, bound together in a way that defied norms of their time. "Sid," he began gently, "our life is already pretty amazing as it is. It might be best to just think more about what we already have right now instead of thinking too deeply about something that isn't exactly possible in our case."

Sid nodded, understanding the tiger's perspective, but not quite ready to let go of the thought. "Yeah," he agreed, though his voice was a little sad. "But it's nice to dream, isn't it?" He looked over as Diego, hope gleaming in his eyes.

Diego met Sid's gaze, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "It is," he said. "But sometimes, reality can be just as surprising as any dream." He reached a paw over to ruffle Sid's fur gently. The sloth leaned into the touch a little, his eyes still slightly wistful. "I know," he said, his voice still barely above a whisper. "But a sloth and a saber with cubs... wouldn't that be somethin'?" He chuckled the sound a little self-deprecating, and turned to look back out at the snowstorm. The flakes have grown much larger, sticking to the ground in a thick, white blanket.

Diego watched Sid for a moment, his mind now beginning to race with the impossible scenarios that the sloth had painted. It was a charming picture, and it made him feel a pang of something that he hadn't felt in a very long time: longing.

"Yeah," he said, his tone lighter now. "It would be something indeed."