Chapter IV

Wading in a dark ocean, I try to keep my head above water. The freezing water makes breathing near impossible. Waves are crashing angrily around me, threatening to take me under the surface. Treading water is harder than ever. I try to swim back to the shore, but the water is making me drift farther out into the sea. I struggle to move, to swim. The waves are getting worse, they are getting higher, angrier. I struggle more and more to get to the surface, but I cannot.

Soon I grow tired, I give up. The wave crashes down atop of me, pulling my under the water. Twisting and turning in the current, I forget which way is up. Somersaulting through the water, I hit a rock. Blood gushes from my head, and I get dizzy. I sink down, farther and farther from the surface.

The water becomes colder, more peaceful. Suddenly I'm drowning, I can't breathe. I can't move. No matter how much I try, I can't get up. I lay there and slowly drift into sleep. I don't plan on waking up. Closing my eyes, I take in one breath, filling my lungs in water. Behind my eyes, Leo is there, holding my tight and kissing me tenderly. We start to run off into the distance...

"GENEVIEVE ELIZABETH!!!!"  Someone yells for me. "Genevieve!" Someone persistent. I try to open my mouth, to answer, "I'm right here!" But my mouth won't work. I attempt to open my eyes, to sit up, but my body doesn't want to work. So I will lay here until I am found...

Sprinting into the sunset, hand in hand, I've never felt so happy. It wasn't until I tried to catch my breath that I'm not breathing. The air around me is warm, the breeze a soft whisper against our skin. Leo holds me close to him. I hear his berath. Is he alive? He must be, because I am not.

I tried to remember how I got here with him. There was an ocean. There was waves, crashing here and there. One major wave took me under. I drifted down, father and farther. I inhaled. Water filled my lungs and I was here. With Leo, in my heaven. Am I dead? If I am, I never want to be revived. Leo whispers in my ear, "I love you. I will stay with you here forever. Don't wake up, stay here with me." I nod silently and kiss him on the lips, softly. 

We find a tree, the sun setting slower than ever...

"Genevieve, can you hear me? Oh god, please don't leave me." A male voice says. Is that...? Leo...? No, he's gone. No, he's still here. He never left. Leo? Is it really him? I find the strength to crack my eyes open. And in my line of sight isn't Leo. It's my father. 

"She's looking at me! Genie, can you see me?" He asks, estatic that I showed a little movement. I tried to grunt, but a throb in my throat denied it. I opened my eyes a little more, and I realized I was in a hospital. My eyes grew wide with wonder, and tried to sit up, but my father pushed me down. 

"Stay down, you aren't well enough to move. You've been in a coma for two weeks." He informed me. A coma? Two weeks?