Chapter VIII

I didn't sleep that night. Instead I cried. I cried because I was pissed. I cried because I was depressed. I cried because it felt good to cry. I cried because I missed Leo. I cried because I don't want to go through this alone. I cried because it was Christmas Eve, and I was crying. My mom was probably not very happy with me, and I knew that. But she doesn't know what I am going through, no matter what she says. Yeah, dad left us. But he left us with each other. Leo left me with no one but my broken heart. I wanted to just end it all, and to go to heaven and dance in the wind with Leo. But that seems impossilbe. So I will bear Christmas without him, and go back to school. I don't know how well this will turn out. 

I cried until there were no more tears to cry. Then I decided I've been through enough today, that it was time to go to sleep, and dance with Leo in the wind. 

Leo ran up to me, excited about something. He grabbed me at my waist and lifted up. I laughed as he spun around in circles. When he put me down he said to me, "I love you so much. I think I want to marry you." 

"Really?" I said, my eyes growing wide with shock.

"Of course. Genevieve, you are the only girl I love. I would never let you go, unless you tell me that you don't want me anymore."

"I will always want you, Leo." I assured him.

"That being said, will you marry me, Genevieve?" He looked so hopeful.

"Of course I will!" And I jumped into his arms once more. Soon we were swaying in a rythmic way, like dancing. I snuggled my head deeper into his chest, searching for his heartbeat. It was beating perfectly in time with mine--

I woke suddenly. The thought of his heart beating was enough to throw me out of my dreams. I knew that his heart was still, and it will never beat in tempo with mine ever again. I felt a small pain in my chest for the first time. It grew with every heave and pound of my heart. It was 6:00 AM, Christmas morning, and I snuck out to see Leo for a little while. For once, I actually smiled at the light breeze that chilled my skin. Maybe I'm getting better. Maybe, just maybe, I can live through all this.