Chapter V

The nurse walked in in her usual uniform. Greeted me with a warm, "How are you feeling sweetie? Need more pain medication?" I nodded, and she bustled around, getting the meds ready. I was in the hospital one week since I've woken up from the coma. I found out that I ran so fast, for so long that my body went into shock once it shut down. I also tore several tendons in my legs, and my arm was broken.

They had asked me so many questions it gave me a headache. Everyone insists that Leo had passed in his sleep. I was sure he wasn't. Until his mom came into my room one day. Her eyes were swollen, and her chin was trembling like she was about to burst into tears. Her clothes were all black; as if she just got back from a funeral. In her left hand was a note, in her right hand was a lonesome rose. The petals' tips were brown, as if it had been left out for a day or so without water. The draft from the hallway was freezing me. When I asked her what's wrong, her eyes teared up, and she answered, "Leo is dead. He committed suicide because he didn't want to leave here, he wanted to be with you forever." She was crying by this point. " He left you this," She handed me the note. 

I sat there, and helplessly watched her cry. I was in shock. He committed suicide? Because he didn't want to leave me? Why did he do that? Where is he now? Why did he leave me? I started crying in unision with Leo's mom. After she had left, I opened the tri-folded letter. 

It read: 

My Lovely Genevieve,

I love you with every cell, every molecule in my body. But my mother is making me move far, far away with you in this fall. I told her, begged her, not to make me go. But she insisted I leave. So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I am so sorry I left you. But I will be buried in the meadow. So you can visit me anytime you wish. Please visit. I love you. Now I can be with you every day, in spirit. I know you'll be here with me eventually, but until then, please know that I am watching you. You'll know when I'm with you. When you feel the wind, I'm there. When it rains, I'm watching you. When it's sunny, with no more than three clouds in the sky, I'm sitting upon my grave. Waiting for you. Remember this. 

I truly love you, Genevieve. 

With you always,

Leo. 

At his signature, I burst into tears. I cried for hours, and cried myself into oblivion. They released me from the hospital the next day. My mother picked me up, and I cried all the way home. After we got home, I told my mom that I wasn't hungry, and went into my room to cry a little more. The wind was blowing heavily that day, chilling me to the bone. Not even a hot shower could warm me up.

Winter was well on it's way, and school was evermore harder to survive. On the weekends, I would run down to the meadow, and sit there with Leo. The wind is harsh, cold. But I know that he is here with me. I told him about everything. The coma, the note, his mom, and mostly, about me. When I first went down there, I just cried for what seemed like years. I tell him I love him every time, right before I leave. I also tell I miss him, and the wind intensifies, for just a second. Like a hug.