CHAPTER 13 - Alibi

***

The steel chair was cold, but it could've been worse. I squinted at the bright, buzzing fluorescent lights overhead. It made all the shadows in the room so much harsher. And I felt more exposed at this moment than I did sharing a shower with Jace.

Trying my best to remain calm, I focused on my breathing the most. There was no reason to be nervous. I knew for a fact that I was innocent of Michael's murder. All I had to do was somehow convince the officers of that.

All without exposing the real killer.

My throat felt like sandpaper as I gulped.

Across from me, Officer Sawyer and Officer Ellis had been drilling questions for some time now. The older officer leaned forward, his voice rough and impatient.

"Let's go over this again, Lucy. Saturday night. Where were you?"

I looked down at the silver cuffs I had on. My wrists were nearly as red as the raw skin around my nails.

"I was at Downtown Highrise, a local hangout and bar," I said. "It was the orientation party for the first years from N.H.U. I went to look for my friend, Bianca."

"Bianca Brooks. Charlie's girlfriend, right?" Officer Ellis confirmed.

"Yes. I was worried about her," I nodded.

"Is that so?" Officer Sawyer snickered. "I'm surprised Bianca wasn't the one to go missing. Lucky her."

My brows angled upward at the accusation while Officer Ellis changed the topic.

"Did you drink any alcohol?" she asked.

I thought back to the night with a bit of shame.

"No, not really. I had a sip accidently but..."

Could I tell them Bianca took my drink? She was also under the legal drinking age, so it was probably better to avoid a direct answer...

"I didn't have more than that and put the glass down," I explained.

Officer Sawyer looked much happier than usual. He slammed down a paper on the table —a transaction history.

"You need to get your story together, Lucy," he said. "We have here a bank statement confirming that you ordered two cocktails."

My face flared the instant he said it.

How did I forget?

"Ah, that, gosh... I'm sorry. It really did slip my mind. Bianca ordered us drinks and I don't think she realized it was alcohol. Then she took her glass but forgot to pay so I paid for her."

Sawyer's lips twisted into a sneer.

"Convenient," he muttered, his eyes narrowing.

I shifted in my seat, my fingers tugging at the hem of my sweater.

"I didn't drink anything else after that sip. I'm underage and I don't even like the smell of alcohol," I admitted honestly.

Officer Ellis pried a bit more gently than her partner.

"So, you stayed at the party after finding Bianca?"

I nodded, trying to ignore the tightening knot in my stomach.

"Yes, I stayed for a while... just talking to people. Playing some question games and stuff..."

Officer Sawyer's eyes darkened. As he leaned forward, his voice dropped lower.

"Talking to people like Michael Richards?"

My heart raced. Michael's face flashed in my mind, and I fought the urge to flinch.