Delayed Flight

Huffing, I end my call. My flight delay has ruined my husband's romantic plans for us. In Maryland, I visited my daughter, her husband, and my only granddaughter, who moved here from Michigan less than two years ago. A few months after they moved my first novel went viral, allowing me to retire. God knew I could never function with a job that only allowed me to see my children once or twice a year. Now, I visit twice a month or more, often staying for a week. Life is good, so a flight delay is nothing to complain about.

Calming myself, I text my husband that I love him, then look for the nearest coffee shop. As a somewhat famous person, I put on shades and a hat. Granted, I'm no Stephen King or J.K. Rowling, but my supporters know me well enough that a disguise is warranted at times. Since it's late January and blisteringly cold, I wear a scarf to hide my face.

Now in the coffee shop, I stop and look at a thermos. A passerby bumps my shoulder. Apologetically, he touches my arm and says, "Excuse me."

Smiling, I nod, returning my focus to the merchandise. As he orders his coffee, I admire his deep baritone voice and glance his way. My eyes still concealed beneath my shades, I watch him. After he finishes ordering, he glances at me. With my chosen thermos in hand, I stand behind him, and he smells nice—a crisp, woodsy scent.

His skull cap is pulled low, covering his forehead, allowing me to admire his side view. He has long, curled eyelashes and deep-set eyes. He looks about my age—late 40s or early 50s. His nicely groomed salt-and-pepper facial hair and thin mustache are lovely. Feeling my gaze, he looks up and smiles. He is an attractive man with a familiar face.

Once he pays the cashier asks, "And your name, Sir?"

"Aden."

"Thanks, Aden. You're all set. ...Good morning ma'am. How may I help you?"

Doing a double take, I look down at Aden, who's on his cell phone. He laughs as he sips his coffee, and I exhale loudly.

"Miss? Are you ready to order?"

Fidgety, I open my virtual wallet, answering, "Yes, uhh a Venti Cafe Latte with almond milk, please."

Facing toward the airport walkway, I wait for my drink and watch him.

"Kelly?" The barista's voice startles me. Turning to face her she continues, "Venti Latte with almond milk?"

"Yes! Yes, thank you." I say cupping my coffee with both hands and hurrying behind Aden.

Soon I'm at my terminal, and so is he. My heart is pounding. I take a deep breath and sit behind him. That's when I got butterflies in my stomach. Lifting my carry-on to a seat, I lay it on its side and set my coffee on top. Once it's stable, I hurry into the restroom. Facing the mirror, I remove my hat and shades, gazing into my eyes, reminiscing.

Aden Cullen, my high-school sweetheart and first love. Suddenly, all the feelings I had for him overtook me.

Don't get me wrong, I've aged quite well. Few people think I'm as old as I am, but the last time he saw me, I was 21 years old and 30 pounds lighter.

Rummaging through my purse I grab my makeup bag and properly do my makeup. Removing my cap I comb and swoop my bangs then pin the top of my hair up but let the back hang. It's the hairstyle I wear when I need my hair done, but it's lovely to most. With my final critique, I added a few light dabs of my perfume, exhaled, and then headed back to Aden.

As I slowly walk towards him, I can only see the top of his head. He glances up from beneath his reading glasses and tablet once I stop in front of him. Flattered he smirked before doing a double take. It's then that I smile at him. He's now squinting towards me, and I ask, "Is your name Aden Cullen?"

Nodding, he snatches off his glasses. By now I'm grinning. Immediately he drops his tablet and stands. Slowly he walks towards me asking, "Kelly? Kelly Charlevoix?"

Through a cute smile, I nod saying, "Yes! It's me!"

Arms open for an embrace and I hug him tight as he sighs, "Wow."

Now stepping back I teased, "Whew. I was hoping I hadn't changed too much."

His smile fades as he answers, "You look the same. Sorry to stare but I'm in disbelief right now."

"May I?" I ask pointing to the seat next to his.

"Of course!"

Now seated he says, "Obviously you still live in Michigan."

"Yes, East Woods."

Grinning, he answers, "I'm west now in Northern Township."

"Cool."

"I love your books. And my wife is a super fan."

Covering my face I laughed, "I'm sane! Really, I am."

"The more twisted it gets the more she raves, so I guess we're all twisted," he chuckled.

Letting out hearty laughs we're interrupted by an airport manager saying, "So sorry, but if you're willing to take a morning flight I will upgrade your flight to first class, no charge."

We side-eye each other and Aden clears his throat, answering, "I already have a first-class seat."

I interject, "So do I."

Now glancing at Aden I stammer, "B-But I'll fly out tomorrow. It's no problem."

"And you Sir?"

Aden replies with a wink, "No problem."

"My sincere appreciation goes out to both of you for your patience. Please head to the desk and she will fix your flights. Enjoy your day."

Grabbing our things, Aden reaches for my carry-on and I say, "Thanks."

"Well, now we have an entire day to catch up. Would you like to grab something to eat?" Aden asks.

Smiling, I answered, "Yes."

Grinning, he says, "Great."