07. The Meet (Part - 1)

Asteria's Pov 

Asteria's Pov 

I moved my head out of the car window, letting the cold Mussoorie breeze wash over my face. It hit me like a wave of memories—both happy and sad—that seemed to come alive again. I shivered slightly, feeling cold and weak, but I tried to hold myself together. Grandpa was taking a light nap beside me, so I decided to busy myself in the book, I was previously reading.

The story was about a girl who fell in love with a young boy, but was later kidnapped by a notorious politician. It was heartbreaking, but the hope that she would escape and reunite with her lover was the only thing keeping me turning the pages

 I trust this author—her previous book was beautiful, full of romance and healing.

But for me? I've long stopped hoping for such things. The idea of finding my soulmate, starting a family, and finally knowing what it feels like to love and be loved in return feels too distant. 

Yet, somewhere deep inside, I still wish that maybe, just maybe, love will find its way to me.

I was so immersed in the book that I didn't even realize we had reached the cottage. The sight of it brought a lightness to my face—how much I had loved this place. In fact, I still do, though we had to leave it behind, because both Grandpa and I were so burdened by the grief of our losses.

No wonder it had turned old, but still held its vintage charm, surrounded by tall pines and a few maples. Our cottage was the most secluded of all, just the way our family liked it—away from the noise of life, and closer to the embrace of nature.

 Our cottage was the most secluded of all, just the way our family liked it—away from the noise of life, and closer to the embrace of nature

"Asteria, dear, are you going to stand at the doorstep all day? Come inside, my child," Grandpa's weak voice broke my reverie.

"Yes, Grandpa, it's been so long. I just got lost in thought," I replied with a faint smile on my face.

"It happens, dear. I also have been longing to come here and spend some time. The water is ready for a bath, so go and freshen up. And yes, take those sweet potatoes to the backyard. We'll light a fire and roast them. Let's savor these plump sweet potatoes tonight."

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Five days had already passed since we had been living here. Grandpa also seemed to be in much better health than before, and I was glad to see his improvement. 

During these five days, I had explored every corner of the cottage.

I was taking a short walk on the cottage terrace, something that had been my favorite activity since childhood. As I looked out at the dense cover of trees behind the cottage, the sound of chirping birds filled the air, and I could see their nests in the branches.

 Suddenly, something strange caught my eye—a quick sparkle that was visible even from such a distance, followed by a loud screeching sound. I hurriedly climbed down the stairs and moved in the direction of the sound.

Erebus' Pov

Erebus' Pov

The path ahead was covered in utter darkness, making it impossible for me to see anything clearly. I kept moving, though at one point, I almost decided to turn back. What shocked me to the core, however, was that there was no longer a path to return to. 

With no other option left, I resolved to keep moving forward, the constant fear creeping in—what if I were lost here forever?

After walking for miles, I finally spotted a small source of light in the distance. I sighed in relief.

 With every step, the light grew stronger, and eventually, it became so bright that I had to shield my eyes.

 In the next moment, I found myself surrounded by greenery, beneath the dense canopy of trees.

 The book had been right—there were no rubies here, but only small flowers scattered across the shrubs.

"Great Heavens! There is finally an end to this long path," I exclaimed. "The World of Hopes is indeed fascinating, a creation beyond anything I could have imagined. This soft, fragrant green floor feels like the perfect place to rest."

With that thought, I lay down on the grass. The pendant on my cloak—the symbol of my Lunar dynasty—shone brighter than ever. I closed my eyes, attempting to sleep, but something pricked my elbow. I groaned, but the pricking persisted.

Anger flared within me, and I swiftly jerked my hand away. A small squirrel was thrown toward a nearby tree. I laughed at its startled condition, but then I heard footsteps approaching.

 I became cautious, and my hand instinctively reached for my sword.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, my lovely readers! 💖

Here's the fourth chapter of the book, and I decided to break this chapter into two parts, because it was getting too long. If you are comfortable with chapters over 1200 words, let me know in the comment.

Don't forget to drop your thoughts and vote for this chapter if you enjoyed reading. Your feedback and support will really encourage me. 🌸

See you soon with the next update! 😉✨

Images are from Pinterest. Credit goes to their respective owners. ~~~