01. The Dark Knight

Erebus' Pov

Erebus' Pov

"Prince Erebus, Lord Moros summons your immediate presence at the court hall."

The call interrupted my focus, pulling me from my penance. My daily routine—until I succeed Lord Moros, my father—consists of rituals and exercises designed to help me master and balance my powers. For, as the Lord always says, a man who cannot control his power will inevitably be destroyed by it.

"Inform the Lord that I will attend shortly. My penance is not yet complete."  Saying so, I rose from my seat and moved toward the inner chamber to prepare for the day ahead.

Claiming the throne has been my sole desire ever since I first laid eyes on it as a child. The power it grants is enormous and perfectly suits my will to control, dominate and command over others. I know this perfectly well that I am born for this specific purpose, for even during my initial days of learning, I always surpassed my peers with ease.

My appointment as the to-be Lord is no mere coincidence. It is the result of relentless effort and unwavering focus I have invested into it. Everyone admired me since childhood, and women—those curious, formidable creatures—have always vied for my attention. But I keep myself above such trivialities. I have known this ever since I was a child—harboring any sort of emotions is a stupidity, one I shall never commit in my life. 

For this is why I am known as The Dark Knight  one who is powerful, capable, and ruthless.

Leaving my chambers, I made my way to the court hall. I was on my way when I encountered my sister, Liora, who is as famous for her stubbornness as I am for my ruthlessness. I already know what she is going to ask for — A walk through the Dark Passage, which is forbidden for every creature belonging to the dark universe, except for the Lord himself. I couldn't allow her to venture there alone, for the path is fraught with dangers that connects our universe to another. 

"Brother, it's been too long since I've seen you," Liora said, smirking mischievously. I knew exactly what was on her mind.

"Not so long, dear sister. I've been rather preoccupied with my daily practices," I replied curtly.

"Yes, You must be because of your impending ascension to the throne. That's intriguing, indeed. But there's something far more intriguing, something I doubt has even crossed your mind yet."

"And if I ask, what that might be?"

"The Dark Passage, Brother. I wish to walk through to the other world. And now i am done asking from the Lord and lady, and from the future Lord too, it appears that I have to take this matter in my own hands."

"You will do no such thing, Liora. I am a man of my word, and I have promised to take you there once I claim the throne."

"Your promise can wait, but my wish can't. See you later, Brother".

She ran away flashing me a mischievous smile. I know if she sets her mind on something, she is not going to leave it easily. Shaking off the thought, I swiftly continued to the court hall.

                                                       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜                                                                 

I am in my mother's chamber now. The Lord has announced my coronation, and the ceremony is set for the onset of the next Lunar year—three months from now. Until then, I must continue my penance and gain full control over my powers. My father outlined the rituals I am to fulfill and gave me a strict list of things to avoid in the coming months. After such a long discussion in the courthall, I was called by my mother.

"Dear, you are soon to become The Lord," she said with a soft sigh.

"Yes, Mother." I replied.

"Your father must have spoken to you about the responsibilities that will come with the coronation, but I intend to share something else— something just as necessary for not only your reign but also for your own life.

See, the role of Lord is not just about controlling the subjects, but is also caring about them. I have watched you all these years;  You are deeply committed towards your ambitions, but I have sensed certain coldness and arrogance in you. Erebus, your pursuit of power has led you to misinterpret things, and you have developed in yourself a sort of harshness that lacks compassion. 

In any universe, the laws that govern it are rooted in the well-being of its people. Kindness, righteousness, respect, care, and above all, love—these are the foundations  of any law. But, my son, you lack these qualities."

Her words hit me, though I held my composure.  

"Your arrogance and ruthlessness are not the virtues you should have as a leader. Yes, you seek the growth of the kingdom, and that is admirable, but you carry such qualities that are dangerous, not only to you but also to your people. Erebus, a ruler cannot be just cold and strict; love is essential for any being to thrive. The absence of love makes one brutal, often unjust, and sometimes gives rise to such viciousness that it leads only to destruction.  Yesterday, I came to know about the harsh punishment you ordered for that servant.

As your mother, I always wish for your well-being and success. You should think upon what I have said to you. You may go now."

My mother's words astonished me. She is a wise woman, and I have always respected her opinions, but today, her words struck me differently. I will care for my subjects, and I will elevate this kingdom to unmatched greatness. As for that lowly fool who dared to sneak into my chambers despite my strict orders—I threw him off the from the cliff. There is nothing to reconsider about that decision; he deserved it. Whoever dares to disobey forfeits their right to live. It's not harsh or cruel—it's simply my way of instilling fear and ensuring that no one dares to defy me in the future.

And as for love—it's nothing but utter foolishness, a sentiment that weakens and cripples the mind. It's a distraction I will avoid at all costs to ensure my success

 I bowed my head respectfully and left her chamber.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hello buddies, here comes the first chapter of my book. I know it's a bit short, but i will surely lengthen the other chapters. This chapter was an introduction for Erebus' character, as you can guess by now, He doesn't believes in love, and is really very arrogant. He is cruel too, and already poses as a threat for our daisy - Ms. Asteria. Let's see what their future meet actually holds for.

Also, drop your views in the comment section, and vote this chapter. 

See You Soon 😉