10. The Warning

Asteria's Pov

It had been almost six months since we had last visited Mussoorie. Grandpa was more at rest now, and although he had grown old, he was doing fine.

Today, I felt oddly delighted for no apparent reason, so I decided to wear pink. Maybe it's a girl thing to wear pink when you feel at peace.

(𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐢𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐟𝐢𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬)

Upon arriving at the hospital, I found out that I had been assigned to the emergency department for the next two months. Being a doctor is always demanding, but the emergency department is a whole new level of challenge. We face different cases daily, many involving domestic violence or car accidents.

But today it felt heavier than usual. As soon as I entered the room, I saw a two-year-old girl lying on the hospital bed. She was unconscious, her small body showed various burns and other injuries. Her condition was critical.

After examining her, I discovered she had been raped. 

My heart broke. Tears welled up inside me, but as a doctor, I couldn't let my emotions overpower me. I had to treat her, no matter how painful it was to see her in such a wrecked state.

Her tiny figure, her fractured fingers, her innocent face—they all cried out for justice. I wished I could find the monster who did this and take matters into my own hands.

I informed the head doctor, and we discussed reporting the case to the police. But her mother refused.

We spent about three hours counseling her, trying to convince her to change her mind. But she remained firm at her decision.

 At last, she spoke, "We are poor, sir. We can't afford to go through with a case. Her father doesn't even know about this, and if he finds out, he'll throw us out of the house. I'm using all my savings just to pay for her hospital stay."

She continued, "I'm grateful to you all for treating her, but we can't afford this. They won't punish the rapist. Only my daughter will suffer if the society finds out."

Her words left me both shocked and unsurprised. She was right in a way. Rapists often escape justice, while victims are the ones who face the harshness, cruelty and stigma by society.

And, the irony hit me hard when I saw the man, who had admitted his wife for domestic abuse the day before, offered sympathy for the little girl.

 All these types of men are culprits—each in their own way—for oppressing and abusing women.

And therefore, I made a decision. I would cover the girl's medical expenses and ensure she receives both the physical and psychological care she needs. If the system couldn't give her justice, I would help her in another way.