Chapter 1

'Babilem'

As the carriage ambled along the winding path connecting the city of Illemdene, home to the venerable Inspired School of Thought, and the Capitol, Princess Penelope's sympathetic gaze lingered on the boundless blue sky, admiring how the midday light illuminated the vast open spaces they found themselves within. Graduating as an Apprentice in the Study of History, she delicately touched the Scroll of Achievement nestled in her bag, thoughts already drifting to where she would proudly display it at home. Glancing innocently at her teacher, the elven Prince, Elgarvin, who sat regally beside her, the sounds of her young fingertips lightly tapping at the scroll, interrupted his distant contemplation. His watchful gaze turned towards her, softening as he spoke, "I can always send you another copy if you happen to misplace it, Princess. Have no fear."

A radiant smile played on her youthful face as she looked away, anticipation building for the days ahead, eager to reunite with her father, King Vasileios of House Aylon, the ruler of the Kingdom of Khilifar. "We are but a few hours away from the Capitol," Prince Elgarvin remarked. "I must say, Princess, I have been most pleased with your efforts this year. I hope you will return to further pursue your passionate interests at the Inspired School. "Oh, yes, Teacher. I feel as if I have only began my journey," she responded.

Elgarvin smiled, running his fingertips through his long wavy white hair, tucking the locks behind his ears. Penelope understood the honour of being taught in isolation under the direct supervision of the headmaster of the Inspired School, especially since it was known that the elven prince had taught her father many years before. The wise elf had a reputation for being amongst the wisest and fairest of elves, perhaps even the most wise in all the lands.

"Why did you become a teacher when you are the Prince of Elves?" she inquired, casting a sidelong glance at the Prince-Elf. Elgarvin turned to face her, a subtle smile gracing his features. "Princess, as you well know, we elves live for many years and in that time I have had many roles, but my passion for learning has never once subsided. Knowledge is a gift, and I wish to impart it to all young, keen minds like yours." Penelope paused and smiled, she looked up at the regal elf, his posture upright and his cloak ever pristine in the famous green elven colours. Before turning away, he added, "My twin brother, Eldouin, is also a Prince, you know."

Penelope sighed as she looked out at the stretch of long grass that stretched into the distance "I could never imagine my brother Vaero sharing his title as Prince with anyone," Penelope remarked. "Ah, yes, Prince Vaero. It will be good to see how much he has grown since I last saw him," Elgarvin said spiritedly. The carriage meandered toward the Capitol, and the city's bustling preparations for the royal welcome had begun. The announcement of Prince Vaero's imminent return had spread far and wide, and a great feast had been called to honour his return from the annual tour to the noble cities under their Kingdom. Elgarvin adjusted his cloak pin, displaying the elven sigil of a great Tree, crafted from magical Jhrea wood, honouring the elven lands to the west.

"Is there much excitement among the citizens of the Capitol?" he asked, attempting to bring a warm smile back to the young Princess's face. "These feasts are always the same. It's just a reason for the nobles to show their respect and seek favours from Father. I bet they are all excited to meet him, but none are as excited as I am. I have missed him so very much." A wry smile played on the elf's face as he leaned in towards her. "These are welcome opportunities for people to come together. It is often at such events where alliances are formed, friendships are forged, and tempers are simmered. I, too, look forward to enjoying your Father's company. I am sure he will be most pleased to hear of your achievements this year," he added. "Oh, will you promise me to only tell him while I am there?" Penelope asked, looking up at the wise elf with her great big blue eyes. "Of course, my dear," he assured, handing her a soft blanket. "Now, it may be wise to rest. We have a festive evening ahead." The elf peered out of the carriage once more, as the carriage trundled across the beaten path on their way to the Capitol, known throughout the lands as the city of Babilem.