CHAPTER THREE

THREE
                                                                            The Thief and His Nephew

Jamie hadn't spoken to anyone all day. His mother had arrived home after Mr Plemmon left a particularly angry voicemail about his favourite sports jacket being ripped during an altercation with her son, and had begged Jamie to tell her what had happened. Jamie said nothing.

Uncle Dan arrived home from work a short time later and asked Jamie what he would like for dinner. He asked if he'd like spaghetti or pizza. Jamie said nothing. His mother then brought him a bowl of chocolate ice cream and asked if he'd like to come down and watch a film on the telly.

Jamie, again, didn't answer.

By nine o'clock he was feeling rather sleepy again and after brushing his teeth and changing into his pyjamas, he tucked himself in for the night and clutched the pendant that wrapped around his neck like it was a winning lottery ticket. It was strange, but this necklace felt like it was the closest thing he had to his father. In the absence of pictures and videos and even being allowed to mention his father's name in his own home, this piece of jewellery was all Jamie had left with his father's mark on it. Tomorrow morning, Jamie had decided, when his mother was at work and his Uncle was at the betting shop in the village, he would visit his local library and see if he could trace this Larry person. Perhaps there's something he could tell him about his father.

Sometime later, Jamie awoke with a start. He hadn't been dreaming or had a nightmare but something felt...wrong. Missing. His hand instinctively flew to his mid-chest where the slightly too big necklace fell but it wasn't there. He wrapped both hands around his neck, clawing at his skin like a rabid dog, but all he could feel was skin. Sliding off the bed he began to frantically feel around the sheets in the dark and hunted for the light switch. The sudden brightness stung his eyes and blurred his vision but he hurried on anyway, his hands gliding over his sheets and into his duvet, he threw his pillows off the bed and tossed them to the ground, fell to his knees and scoured under the bed. Nothing but dust and an old pair of hiking boots.

He wanted to scream.

A flurry of voices sounded from outside his bedroom door and Jamie jumped to his feet to switch off his bedroom light. He wasn't sure what time it was but he knew it was too late to be awake and prowling around his bedroom, especially when he was still being punished for what had happened the week before. A gentle stream of light poured in from beneath his door and he stuck his head against the wall, listening intently.

"You can't be sure." Said Jamie's mother in a hushed voice.

"What do you mean I can't be sure?" repeated Uncle Dan, exasperated. "Look at this Maggie, the similarities are uncanny."

Jamie's ears suddenly perked up. He scuttled along the wall and opened the door ever so slightly for a better listen.

"It could belong to anyone. Maybe it's just a coincidence..." his mother's sentence trailed off as she breezed past his bedroom door, Uncle Dan close on her heels.

"Oh come off it Maggie," he said dismissively, "Where would you ever see the likes of this in the village? It's made of pure gold. It has the letter E inside. It's his."

A pause. "I suppose you're right."

Jamie's mother strolled past his bedroom a second time and rested against the door frame of her bedroom. Uncle Dan stood in the hallway, the necklace -- Jamie's necklace -- shaking in his hand. Jamie's eyes widened.

"You found that in his room?" His mother asked.

"Wrapped around his neck. He must have found it when he went into the forest."

"You don't think..." His mother's voice trailed off.
Uncle Dan stared at her for a minute, not saying anything. Then, he shook his head.

"No. Doubt it. Larry's smart, but he's not that smart. He couldn't cross even if he wanted to."

Jamie's mother sighed. "Then how did it get to the forest?"

"I don't know." Another pause. "But I'm going to find out."

Jamie's mother straightened, suddenly alert. "What do you mean?"

"I mean I'm going back to the forest. There has to be something out there Mags. If this was out there and we missed it who knows what else we missed?"

"We've looked everywhere, Dan. The forest, the village, the building site. There is nothing out there. You're wasting your time."

"You've given up!" Bit Uncle Dan in anger. "I haven't."

"He was my husband." Said Jamie's mother in a horrified voice. "I would never give up on him!"

"He was your husband, but he was my brother first. And I'm going to find out the truth. No matter what."

He'd put too much pressure on his ankle. A stunning shot of agony pulsed through muscle and bone and when he grabbed onto the door for support, it swung wide open. Uncle Dan's hands flew into his pockets to hide the necklace he'd stolen quite literally from right under Jamie's nose and his mother pounced forward, her arms outstretched.

"What on earth are you doing lurking in the shadows like that at this hour? Get back into bed." Her arms were warm and comforting under Jamie's armpit as she lured him back into the bedroom but Jamie's eyes were stuck on Uncle Dan.

"What all did you hear, son?" Chirped Uncle Dan from across the landing.

Son. "Some Uncle you are," shot Jamie angrily, "stealing from your own nephew."

"Jamie! Don't be so rude!" Breathed his horrified mother.

"He stole from me!"

"I borrowed." Said Uncle Dan, and he bounced a step forward. "Where did you find this?"

Looks like the time for pretending is over. He produced the necklace from his pocket and waved it in Jamie's face as if to tease him.

"None of your business, give it back!" Shouted Jamie.

"I'll give it back when you tell me where you found it."

"You're a liar!" Yelled Jamie. "You stole that from me and I want it back! It belonged to my father so it's mine!"

The room grew very still. Uncle Dan stood frozen in the hallway, necklace shaking in mid-air. He swallowed hard.

"Jamie. Some things are very hard for a boy to understand--"

"I'm not a child!" Cried Jamie. "What did you mean by find out the truth? You told me my father died in that fire at the building site. That it was an accident."

Uncle Dan looked at Jamie's mother and cocked an eyebrow as if to say, "Now what?"

Her light misty eyes turned to focus on Jamie and her tears forced a stabbing pain in his chest, guilt oozing its way through his blood like black tar. He had to look away.

"Jamie. Please try to understand. Your Uncle and I have only done what we thought was best--"

"I don't care about any of that." Said Jamie hotly. "I want the truth."

Uncle Dan's throat strained for words. None came out.

"There is no secret, darling," said Jamie's mother quietly. "He really is gone. Nothing changes for us. Nothing."

She bent low so her face was level with Jamie's.

"Daddy is gone, darling," She said through a strained sob, "Daddy is gone and he is never coming home." Her face found her hands and she begins to weep, her shoulders trembling at the force of her cries.

Uncle Dan shifts toward her and helps her to her feet.

"Come on, Mags. Rest up now." He guides her into her bedroom and looks back at Jamie with disdain.

"Are you happy now?" He mutters.

Jamie turns his back on Uncle Dan, the sound of his mother's wails still striking his ears. He closed the door to his bedroom and sealed himself off for the night.