Chapter 1: My History Teacher Attacks Me

I have a secret. A big one, that you can't tell anyone. Unless you're like me. A half-blood.

My dad used to say, "Being a half-blood is dangerous. It's scary. Most of the time, it gets you killed in painful, nasty ways".

Which for the most part is true, except for the last part. Half-bloods or demigods these days can actually live past twenty. That wasn't always the case. The world used to be so dangerous for demigods that most were killed before they could even graduate high school. Thanks to my parents and their friends, the world is as safe as it can get. Sure, monsters still roam, and we still get attacked, but Kronos and Gaia are defeated, and the fate of the world doesn't lie in some teenager's hands...

~

I haven't introduced myself yet. How rude.

My name is Zoe Jackson. I am 14 years old. I pretty much live at Camp-Half Blood with my brothers, Jace and Ethan. Mom and dad still go around, saving the world every so often. I do try to attend normal school, but I've been kicked out of every single one I've been enrolled in. It sucks having chronic ADHD and dyslexia. It's usually the reason I get kicked out of school. Dad says that it's okay being a troubled kid. He says that my ADHD will keep me alive in a battle and my brain is hardwired into Ancient Greek, not English.

My life has been as normal as it can get with having probably the two most famous demigods in the world as your parents and being you know, half demigod and half mortal. It's been that way for as long as I can remember, until now.

This year, I had nearly made it 3 terms. It was a great record considering it was the school I had been at for the longest. In other words, it had been the school that hadn't expelled me yet. New Rochelle High School in New York. This school was different. Maybe it was because the kids there were somewhat friendlier or because I hadn't encountered any monsters there. Maybe it was because my best friend Christina McLean attended New Rochelle as well. Except nobody calls her Christina. It's just Tris. A strong-hearted, dependable girl.

Anyways, Tris and I don't have many classes together, so we pretty much only see each other at break and on the weekends. We are in the same dorm and only go back to Camp Half-Blood on the holidays or when we get expelled.

Like my dad, I am clumsy and have impulsive thoughts. I don't think about whether the impulsive thought is a good idea or not. I just go through with it.

For instance, in grade 2 I pulled the fire alarm on purpose to see what would happen. Expelled. In grade 3 I accidentally broke two of the school's most prized trophies. Expelled. Grade 4 I apparently assaulted a kid. I accidentally (again) hit them with water. The kid lied and said that I hit them with my hand. So once again, expelled. It has gone on like that my whole life.

For me and most other demigods it's pretty normal, but it's getting harder and harder to enrol me in new schools. Its also getting harder to fit in at school. Once students find out that I've been kicked out of more than five schools, they make fun of me. I don't really care. I'm just trying to get an education.

Anyway, Tris and I were sitting on the rim of the courtyard fountain eating our lunch. Her straight champagne-blonde hair was styled into two messy plaits, little droplets of water clinging to it. Tris' aqua eyes had a hint of longing that stood out against her peachy skin. Her eyebrows were usually knit together, giving off a sense of her tough and determined nature. Tris was very quick to anger but she did well at hiding it.

A voice shook me out of my daydream, and I turned to see who it was. It was Maya Hensley. The school bully. Her long brown hair was pulled into a high-ponytail, just covering the scar on her neck. Her features were striking and captivating which made her seem approachable. I knew better. Maya was mean. She had spent six months in juvey, which had made her tough.