Chapter 2: I Think Passing Out Is My New Favourite Hobby

I woke up to the smell of antiseptic and freshly cut grass. A familiar smell. I knew immediately where I was. I opened my eyes and sat up. Instantly I regretted it. My head still hurt. The throbbing was unusually loud. Weird.

The infirmary was one large room, rows of beds on each side. Each bed had fresh linen sheets and medicinal equipment laid out. The floor was a wooden oak, recently polished. The walls were white to add an even cleaner look to the infirmary.

The room was empty except for me. I threw my sheets off and slowly got out of bed. I stumbled through the large room towards the doors. Before I reached them, someone opened them for me. The boy paused when he saw me.

"Zoe! You're awake." His eyes widened like he had only just realised something very important. "Zoe sit back down. You aren't allowed up! Oh gods, Alexis is going to kill me!"

The boy Gale steered me back to my bed.

I sat down on the bed and asked, "Gale, how long till I can get out of here?"

Gale had made himself busy changing the bandage on my head. He measured the amount he would need and cut it. He then gently peeled the old bandage off my head and threw it away. The boy paused and looked at me, considering his answer. Gale's dark hair had fallen in his forest green eyes. He was about 17.

He ran a hand through his hair and replied, "Depends. I'll have to consult with Alexis, but you did have extreme damage done to your head Zoe."

"What kind of damage?"

"Uh... well you had a brain contusion and a severe concussion."

"What on earth is a brain contusion?"

"It's a bruise to the brain. It can be fatal but thanks to some Ambrosia and Nectar you healed up well. That still means you won't be doing any physical activity for a few days so don't go and get any ideas."

I groaned. Really? No physical activity? That is basically Camp Half-Blood summed up.

"Fine. I won't do anything for the next few days. So fun." I said dryly.

"Good." Gale finished bandaging my head, "I will go tell Alexis that you are awake. Don't go anywhere."

I nodded and lay down on the bed. Gale left with a basket of medical tools. I watched as the green doors swung behind him.

I waited and waited for what felt like years. Finally, a girl about the age of 12 came through the doors. Her blonde hair was tied back in a bun and her face and eyes were marked by a deep, brooding expression. On the outside she looked as if she were about to chokehold, you but she was really a sweet, smart little girl. If she was smart enough to be head of the infirmary, she would be the one to trust to heal you. I knew I'd be out of here in no time.

"Hi Alexis!" I called.

"Hi Jackson."

Alexis put her stuff down and donned her white doctor's coat. She examined the bandaging work Gale did to my head and nodded satisfactorily.

"Good. This is great work. Okay, how do you feel Jackson?"

"Great!" I lied.

Honestly, I felt as if someone had thrown me in a washing machine for an hour and then made me run a marathon. I felt overly tired and hot.

Alexis grimaced, "Liar. You look horrible. There is no way you feel great. Let's try again."

I huffed and rolled my eyes, "Fine. I feel like I've been through an hour cycle in a washing machine."