Chapter 178

Most of what the Grandmaster said was true, but there were also lies. He knew he was working for Consort Zhao, but he only told the old master that it was Grand Preceptor Zhao's idea. The Grandmaster had his own considerations: if the consort colluded with external officials, both she and those officials would be guilty of death. Moreover, he was a thief. It wouldn't matter much if he perished with Consort Zhao, but what if the Gu family wasn't a match for her? If Consort Zhao survived, Li Yuanle was one of those who went to Cloud Mountain with Gu Xinglang. If Consort Zhao found out about Li Yuanle, would she let the Li family miss out on the opportunity in the palace?

Gu Xinglang asked the Grandmaster, "Is it really Grand Preceptor Zhao?"

The Grandmaster nodded. If he could, he wouldn't want to mention Grand Preceptor Zhao. He was the father of Consort Zhao; exposing him would mean offending her. However, his brothers knew that their escape from the East Sea was thanks to Grand Preceptor Zhao's help. He didn't speak up, but he couldn't guarantee his brothers wouldn't reveal it. 

Fortunately, not many brothers know about Consort Zhao. The Grandmaster thought to himself. Let's see how the Gu family fares against Grand Preceptor Zhao. As long as I don't directly expose Consort Zhao, there's still room for maneuver.

Gu Xinglang looked at the Grandmaster and slightly pursed his lips. Who else could Grand Preceptor Zhao have killed the seventh prince for? "Did Grand Preceptor Zhao just ask you to hold the seventh prince captive in the mountains?" Gu Xinglang asked.

The Grandmaster replied, "After capturing the seventh prince and the second young master, I didn't receive further instructions from Grand Preceptor Zhao."

Gu Xinglang asked, "Aren't you worried at all?"

The Grandmaster forced himself to stay calm. "This matter should concern Grand Preceptor Zhao. I'm just the one doing the work; what is there for me to worry about?"

"You'd better tell the truth," Gu Xinglang said coldly. "Do you know the consequences of your lies?" He glanced over at Li Yuanle.

The Grandmaster gritted his teeth in secret. From just a few exchanges, he realized that this Young Master Gu was far more formidable than the second young master. Thinking about the still-unrevealed eldest young master, rumored to be the strongest among the Gu family's young masters, the Grandmaster felt that his future was bleak.

At this moment, Guo Xingnuo sat beside his younger brother's bed and asked the doctor who had just finished taking his pulse, "Sir, how is my younger brother's condition?"

The doctor respectfully replied, "Don't worry, young master. The second young master has just lost some strength; he will recover after a few days of rest."

"Thank you, doctor," Guo Xingnuo said, feeling relieved. He turned to Guo Xingyan's personal servant and instructed, "Accompany the doctor to get the medicine."

"Yes," the servant bowed and accepted the order.

After the doctor saluted Guo Xingnuo and Guo Xingyan, he followed the servant out to prepare the medicine.

Guo Xingyan, appearing unconcerned, said, "I just lack strength at the moment. Once the medicine takes effect, I'll be fine. Big brother, why did you call for a doctor? Do I look injured?"

Guo Xingnuo tapped his younger brother's forehead and said softly, "A dignified general falling into the hands of a group of pirates, and on land no less, don't you feel ashamed?"

Guo Xingyan helplessly replied, "My sister-in-law has already scolded me; can you just let it go, big brother?"

Guo Xingnuo shook his head. Being lectured by the princess was even more embarrassing, wasn't it?

Guo Xingyan asked, "Has no one at home looked for me?"

Guo Xingnuo replied calmly, "What happened with those pirates?"

Guo Xingyan recounted how he had been captured by the big boss and everything that happened in the Cloud Mountain.

Guo Xingnuo asked, "After they captured you, did you see anyone from outside the mountain come in?"

Guo Xingyan shook his head.

Guo Xingnuo continued, "Did you hear those pirates say anything?"

Guo Xingyan replied, "They didn't believe I was the second young master of the Gu family."

Guo Xingnuo said, "So they didn't know the seventh prince's identity."

Guo Xingyan mumbled, "How could I let them know the seventh prince's identity? What if they were after him?"

Gu Xingnuo slapped his younger brother's forehead again, saying, "You already said you were the second young master of the Gu family. Those pirates wouldn't think that little baby is the seventh prince. Where's your head at?"

The second young master felt frustrated; in his big brother's eyes, it seemed like he could never do anything right.

"Think carefully again," Gu Xingnuo said. "Is there anything you haven't mentioned?"

The second young master thought for a long time and then said, "I did overhear them mentioning the palace once, but the guards were speaking too softly, and I didn't catch the rest."

The palace? Gu Xingnuo's eyes flashed with cold light, but he quickly masked it and tucked the blanket around the second young master. "Your sister-in-law is outside; I'll let her in. You should talk to her, and if you're tired, rest."

"Big brother?"

"I will handle this matter with grandfather. Just take care of yourself and don't worry about anything else."

Seeing his older brother about to leave, the second young master hurriedly said, "The princess should have taken Xiong Xiong back to the residence, right?"

Gu Xingnuo asked, "Is there a problem with Xiong Xiong?"

"No," the second young master replied, "I just want to make sure I don't miss out on my share of the bear paws."

Gu Xingnuo slapped his younger brother's forehead, then exited the room.

"Big brother," Lady Lin was waiting outside, holding Gu Xu. Upon seeing Gu Xingnuo, she bent slightly and greeted him respectfully.

"The doctor said the second young master is fine," Gu Xingnuo gently touched his nephew's little face and said to Lady Lin, "Please take care of the second young master."

"Yes," Lady Lin replied quickly.

Gu Xingnuo walked down the steps and out to the courtyard.

Her husband had been carried back to the residence, yet only Gu Xingnuo had come to check on him. This left Lady Lin feeling somewhat displeased, but seeing the servants waiting in the courtyard, she dared not show her dissatisfaction. Gu Xingnuo was the legitimate eldest son; this family would eventually belong to him. Gu Xinglang was the current prince consort, and he would undoubtedly enjoy future wealth and honor. Compared to the three brothers of the Gu family, it was uncertain what fate awaited their second branch.

Holding her son, Lady Lin turned and walked back to the bedroom, lost in thought.

When Gu Xingnuo arrived at the old master's study, the Grandmaster had already been taken away. The old master, Gu Xinglang, and Li Yuanle all looked displeased.

"What serious matter did you uncover?" Gu Xingnuo asked the three of them with a smile.

Li Yuanle knew that the matter between his sister and Xiong Xiong couldn't be hidden from Gu Xingnuo. Rather than let Gu Xinglang relay it, he decided to explain himself. So, Li Yuanle recounted the grievances between the Li family and the Grandmaster.

After listening, Gu Xingnuo sighed softly and said, "This is Consort Zhao's doing; Xiong Xiong didn't speak the truth for the sake of Lady Li."

Gu Xinglang asked, "Should we call him back for more questioning?"

Gu Xingnuo shook his head and said, "Kidnapping a prince is a crime that has only witnesses and no physical evidence. Given Consort Zhao and Grand Preceptor Zhao's capabilities, we won't be able to do anything about them."

"Is that how it ends?" The old master and Gu Xinglang didn't seem anxious, but Li Yuanle was the first to grow impatient.