Chapter Three: Mel

After I'd had dinner with Aunt Meghan the other night, I had expected a rebuke from my mom to come sooner or later. I didn't know how she always managed to figure out when and where I met my aunt, but she always did. So it was no surprise when I came downstairs this morning and saw my mom waiting for me at the kitchen table, a cup of hot coffee in her hand. "Morning, Mom." I tried to smile and sound cheerful, maybe then she wouldn't want to bring down the mood. But there was no deterring my mother. She slowly shook her head and set down her coffee. "So, I heard you and Meghan had dinner the other night? You know now that I think about it, wasn't that the same night you said you were going to the library and that you wouldn't be able to make dinner with us? Your family?"

I tried to not let her sharp eyes and cold stare affect me. I wanted to show her that I was strong, and capable of making my own decisions in life without needing her approval. But when it came to my mother, any bit of bravery I had always went out the window. I loved her, and she loved me. In fact, the two of us hardly ever fought or argued. But when it came to my Aunt Meghan...it may as well be World War III. My mom hasn't told anyone in our family much about why she hates her sister so much. But she totally does. When my brother and I were really little, I remember our aunt coming over for holidays and birthdays for a few years. It was almost as though Mom was trying to be the bigger person, let her sister know her niece and nephew. But of course, that didn't last very long. My mom's hatred for her sister was too strong and she basically banned our aunt from ever coming over and seeing us again.

Which was a huge bummer for the rest of us because we actually liked Aunt Meghan. She was kind and sweet, and she was always interested in the things my brother and I were up to. She and I even used to have sleepovers when I was little. We'd stay up all night long and she'd tell me all sorts of awesome stories from when she went on her amazing travels all around the world. To me, my aunt was like an older sister. She understood me better than anyone else did. Even after my mom threw her into exile, she still wrote letters to me and my brother every day. Mom wouldn't let us read them at first, but then figured it was better than us talking to her in person. And about six months ago, Aunt Meghan wrote saying that she was moving back to town and that she wanted to see my brother and me.

She wrote telling us to ask Mom what she thought about it. I've tried hard to block out that night because it was filled with nothing but craziness. But I do remember Mom blowing a gasket and telling Aiden and me not to write to Aunt Meghan anymore or even think about going to see her. The next day, Aiden and I made a secret pact. We would still make time to see Aunt Meghan on our own and neither of us would ever tell Mom. So, that's what we'd been doing the past six months. But somehow, I'm the only one who gets caught by my mom. Aiden of course never makes her suspect anything. In this moment right now, I made a mental note to ask him how he did it later.

Mom was still staring me down, her expression full of disappointment. Not knowing what to say, I only shrugged and mumbled, "Aunt Meghan is family too." I chanced a glance up at my mom, wondering if steam would be coming out of her ears. But she only closed her eyes and heaved a very big, very deep sigh. "Mel, what, and I cannot stress this enough, are you thinking? I've told you to stay away from Aunt Meghan again and again." "But why?" I pressed, becoming more and more annoyed with all the secrecy. "Why can't I see her?" Mom shrugged and gave me her best I'm in charge look. "Because I said so." I groaned. "Really? That's your explanation? I just don't see why-" Mom took another sip of her coffee, most likely to give herself a second to calm down. And when she looked back up at me, the look on her face was different. Not disappointed anymore. No, now she was mad. Really mad. But somehow, she kept her voice calm when she spoke. Which was almost scarier than if she had yelled.

"I will not tell you again, Mel. Stay away from Meghan." "But-" "No buts!" She snapped. "No buts, no more conversations about this, and no more pushing the matter! Now please, do me a favor and leave this alone. And if I find out that you've been talking to your aunt..." She didn't finish that sentence. But she didn't have to. I got the message loud and clear.

Feeling like I might get myself into more trouble if I stayed here a minute longer, I went back upstairs, got dressed, and headed outside and hopped onto my beloved bike. I flipped up the kickstand and started peddling down the street faster than I ever have before. Right now, both my mom and I need some space. And since I had absolutely no plans for the rest of the day, I was just going to go wherever the wind took me. Nadine's Perfect Pottery was closed today since it was Monday, but thankfully I had other places I could escape to. And I wasn't planning on going home until the very last possible second today. Sometimes I wondered if I should follow in my brother's footsteps and go to college. At least then I wouldn't have to be home all the time. But then again, I wasn't entirely sure if college was for me. After my brother got into UCLA, the next few weeks were filled with my parents pressuring me to fill out applications and apply to different schools. They were so proud of Aiden for all that he was doing, and I knew they felt like going to college would be good for me too.

And maybe it would. But I still wasn't sure. I didn't even know what I would study if I did go. Plus, there are a few...other things on my mind right now. I needed to sort everything out first before seriously considering college or anything else. But it would be okay. Things would work out. Aunt Meghan always said that the path to your destiny was not always easy to find, but the search for it could lead you to unexpected and amazing things. I hoped she was right.